Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

How can this happen?

For discussion of all matters relating to the UK's departure from the European Union

How can this happen?

Postby atticus » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:18 am

This morning I am reading that some EU agencies presently based in the UK may relocate. A couple of newspapers, you pknow, the ones who always criticise EU decisions, seem to be wondering how such a thing can happen.
atticus

Re: How can this happen?

Postby shootist » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:23 am

On other mornings I have read that WW3 will start shortly after Brexit, the country will be bankrupt in three weeks, the EU will collapse, the EU will grow stronger, the NHS will collapse, the NHS will gain financially, immigration will rise, immigration will fall. Nobody really knows what will happen and what the effects will be. If OTOH, you are wondering why certain newspapers are wondering, it's because they can sell newspapers that way.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby Hairyloon » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:53 am

I think you are exaggerating a touch there Shootist, but you make a fair point.
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby Hairyloon » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:07 am

I don't know if this is Atti's morning paper, but it seems to be relevant:
Brexit voters have responded angrily to news that EU diplomats are plotting to withdraw flagship agencies from Britain ‘within weeks’.

The Daily Express reported the move was a ‘Brexit punishment’ - despite admitting the loss of the European Banking Authority and the European Medical Agency (EMA) was inevitable after the triggering of Article 50.

Readers of the paper who voted Leave reacted with outrage.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/b ... 2ff8619ddb
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby diy » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:26 am

The daily express and the guardian represent the daft extreme of both voters fairly well.
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:33 am

shootist wrote:On other mornings I have read that WW3 will start shortly after Brexit, the country will be bankrupt in three weeks, the EU will collapse, the EU will grow stronger, the NHS will collapse, the NHS will gain financially, immigration will rise, immigration will fall. Nobody really knows what will happen and what the effects will be.

But there is a difference between predictions of things which may happen, and reports of things which are already happening. Nobody can know what the precise effects of Brexit will be (though our predictions can become less uncertain as time goes by), but the Commission has already begun the process of selecting new locations for these agencies. It ought to have been one of the less unpredictable outcomes of Brexit that the EU would want to relocate its agencies within its borders.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby miner » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:45 pm

The EU Commission is actually doing some useful "work"? That's something new!

Message to Juncker and his cohorts: Best wait until the French election is over before deciding to select Paris as a new location.
miner

Postby tph » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:49 pm

It sounds like the sort of story that was written a week ago and rolled out over Easter to fill up the paper.
tph

Postby atticus » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:09 pm

It's a story that was written on 23 June 2016. Except that some people appear to fail to understand that this is part and parcel of taking back control.

Was it Paul Simon who wrote that the words of the prophets are written on the side of a bus?
atticus

Postby tph » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:05 am

I would not pay too much attention to what is written on the sides of buses. The things that really matter are seldom written or said.
tph

Next

Return to Brexit