Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

How can this happen?

For discussion of all matters relating to the UK's departure from the European Union

Re: How can this happen?

Postby shootist » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:15 am

atticus wrote:Was it Paul Simon who wrote that the words of the prophets are written on the side of a bus?

And the people bowed and prayed
To the neon god they made
And the sign flashed out its warning
In the words that it was forming
And the sign said “The words of the prophets
Are written on the subway walls
And tenement halls
And whispered in the sounds of silence”

It's a song from the days of the hippies, not a political policy. The deeper and more profound such words are, especially if poetic, the more likely they are to be meaningless bullshit, intended only to seem deep and profound for people incapable of understanding reality. Not you, of course.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby atticus » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:26 am

A bit like the ubiquitous Heinlein, then.

BTW, I did know the words of the Sound of Silence even without your top quality cutting and pasting, but irony is lost on some people.
atticus

Postby shootist » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:04 am

Would the words be somehow more profound for not being cut and pasted? BTW, I forgot to answer your question. "No."

Nothing at all like Heinlein, who's arguments can be easily understood, even if not agreed with.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Previous

Return to Brexit