Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Now Gibraltar ....

For discussion of all matters relating to the UK's departure from the European Union

Now Gibraltar ....

Postby miner » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:03 pm

A European Council document on Friday suggested that Spain will be given an effective veto on whether the Brexit deal applies to Gibraltar.

The fact that Tusk et al are stooping to this absurd level at this early stage is quite funny!

They are simply too stupid to realize that all they are doing by trying to pull this rabbit out of of their hat at this stage merely exposes just how truly desperate the EU's position in the so-called negotiations actually is, and how utterly desperate they are in seeking to avoid other EU member countries following the UK and leaving the EUrocircus if they are now attempting to use Gibraltar as a bargaining tool!

Even I never really thought that after our Prime Minister's polite and courteous approach, the EU oafficials would act in such an immediately confrontational and childish manner by throwing their toys out of their pram as they are now doing.

Also, these people are the ones who had to lecture to the UK on being unable to cherry-pick and retain aspects of membership which might suit us, then they attempt to control what we do in respect of our UK taxes and fiscal matters after we actually leave! What a joke they are!

This is getting to look more like a comedy show than a serious process as far as they are concerned. Tusk is beginning to look more like Donald Duck than Donald Tusk, quacking away as he is now doing. No doubt we'll have more emanating from Michel Mouse Barnier before long!
miner

Re: Now Gibraltar ....

Postby atticus » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:21 pm

Talking about people who are too stupid to realise, what did Farage, Johnson, Gove et al expect?
atticus

Postby Hairyloon » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:48 pm

This just adds weight to the suggestion that the UK should remain in the EU and only England needs to leave.
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby miner » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:52 pm

Hairyloon wrote:This just adds weight to the suggestion that the UK should remain in the EU and only England needs to leave.

It is still April Fool's Day!
miner

Postby 3.14 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:54 pm

We should give it back to the Spanish, La Malvinas to the Argentineans and Northern Ireland back to the Irish.
Hide in the noise. #hackerwisdom

Postby tph » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:25 pm

And we should keep Scotland even if they vote to leave in the next referendum by that logic.
tph

Postby shootist » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:36 pm

Some discussion I heard on the radio today mentioned as a fact, which I do not know for sure, that in order to complete a negotiated exit from the EU it will be necessary for all 27(?) member states to agree to the settlement. Given that I doubt very much that all 27(?) member states could agree to their representatives all whistling Dixie together I don't think that a negotiated exit will ever be a possibility.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby atticus » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:55 pm

Dixie - interesting choice
atticus

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:03 pm

No. The agreement under Article 50 by which we leave must be agreed by Qualified Majority Voting. The only thing which would require unanimity is extending the 2 year negotiating period.

That's not the agreement to which the European Council are referring, however. The Article 50 process will result in an agreement by which the EU treaties will no longer apply to us, and by which we divide the assets and liabilities. Separately, we intend to negotiate a trade agreement which will govern our future relations with the EU. The Council says that the latter agreement cannot apply to Gibraltar without (effectively) the consent of Spain.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby Hairyloon » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:10 am

Treaty of Utrecht wrote:And in case it shall hereafter seem meet to the Crown of Great Britain to grant , sell or by any means to alienate therefrom the propriety of the said town of Gibraltar, it is hereby agreed and concluded that the preference of having the sale shall always be given to the Crown of Spain before any others.

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Peace_an ... #ARTICLE_X
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Next

Return to Brexit