Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

what will Brexit do for us?

For discussion of all matters relating to the UK's departure from the European Union

what will Brexit do for us?

Postby atticus » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:56 am

I would be interested in replies from the Brexiteers about how they expect things to change.
atticus

Re: what will Brexit do for us?

Postby tph » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:28 pm

I think it is likely that any changes will be gradual and will not occur for the next 3 - 5 years. These are likely to include house prices starting a gradual decline as demand eases faster than supply. Wages for the lowest paid workers may increase as demand exceeds supply, however this will depend on how quickly things like driverless cars take off.
tph

Postby dls » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:15 am

I did not vote to leave, but I am fairly positive about what will happen.

There will be many losers, but opportunities created will be there to be taken. The task will be in bringing those opportunities to life. That task requires us to pit regret behind us.

I am affected in that I am paid in dollars, so that has increased as the pound fell.
Also I spend a fair proportion of my time with law at the ECJ. At some point (possibly many years in the future) I will not need to do that.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby shootist » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:24 am

atticus wrote:I would be interested in replies from the Brexiteers about how they expect things to change.

An interesting question. What are your thoughts on any likely change?
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby atticus » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:36 am

I am not a Brexiteer. The question was addressed to them. I think we may have at least a couple of regulars here who voted 'leave'. Let us wait for them to come along.
atticus

Postby diy » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:37 pm

i very much doubt people will notice too much
house prices won't decline as a result
most people with a pension pot will be a little better off
patriotic purchases may start to match eu culture
i'll have to buy new number plates.
ice cream will go back on ration in diy holiday budget.
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Postby LoveandPeace » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:46 pm

I would hope (but not expecting) there will be a correction in the benefits system. I believe only British Citizens (regardless of origin, creed etc.) should be entitled to benefits including tax credits, with exception of refugees, for obvious reasons. Time to halt the gravy train and stop supporting the whole of the EU when they don't support us. If it had been equal right across the EU then I would have been fine with it. Some are happy for Britain to be a doormat but that's not me. Isn't it strange how all those bizarre Remainers screaming equality were so desperate to impose inequality?

I also hope the police start to do their job better and start investigating crimes instead of them being brushed under the carpet. They just don't seem to make it to court from certain sections, particulary where the drug dealing is going on. It is rife. Hopefully we will all be treated more EQUALLY right across the board.

Only British Citizens should be allowed to vote in GB.

Anyone wanting to be a British Citizen can apply.

A tightening up of the NHS. Free NHS for British people only unless we get it free in their country. Time to sort out a database. They already have a database of patients so this can be done easily.

I do feel sorry for the older Polish community and Russians of a mature age as they have been here for decades and have been caught up in the more recent population influx issues. Any of these people should be granted automatic citizenship. Pre-1990. I also feel sorry for EU's living here who are feeling the pressure of Brexit.

I also feel incredibly sorry for the rufugees in recent years as I believe there wouldn't have been so much public concerns if we were not already having to deal with an EU influx. I'd like the immigration situation fairer and applies to all around the world and not just certain areas. Same rules for ALL.

Also no council houses as that was already an area under great pressure before an influx. It's just bonkers. The posher people tend not to have an understanding of it, for example, Tony Blair. Well, the EU influx didn't really affect them it affected people already under pressure hence the reason the working class voted out and were not terrified of all the scare tactics of calling people racist. They claimed Leave Campaign were touting Project Fear but the Remain Campaign done just that in trying to label people ugly names. They know people are scared of being called a racist. They have played the biggest fear game in my opinion. Although that has been going on for well over a decade but it was just all political posturing in my opinion. Make UKIP out to look ugly so the other parties ccould protect THEIR votes. We are all so done with it now. People have had an enough, they know it's aobut jobs and housing but the media still haven't learnt to shut-up about it. Maybe the Fake News will stop? The bizarre part is they still don't understand it and continue to report utter tripe. The media is full of Remain reporters. Totally bias.

I do quite welcome the thought of the EU practically dissolving but if the Eurozone does collapse that is a concern. I sitll think it will happen as the eurozone has been under pressure for a number of years now and many financial institutions have opted to move to Asia. I think France will be next out and Italy and Greece not too far behind.

Hopefully common sense will prevail and everything will just balance out.
Last edited by LoveandPeace on Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LoveandPeace

Postby LoveandPeace » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:47 pm

diy wrote:ice cream will go back on ration in diy holiday budget.

I thought it was only a lettuce shortage. Ice cream shortage? :)
LoveandPeace

Postby tph » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:19 pm

......and in thirty years time we will all reminisce about the good old days when we were in the EU. ;)
tph

Postby dls » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:27 pm

I do quite welcome the thought of the EU practically dissolving but if the Eurozone does collapse that is a concern. I sitll think it will happen as the eurozone has been under pressure for a number of years now and many financial institutions have opted to move to Asia. I think France will be next out and Italy and Greece not too far behind.

The EU will struggle without our contribution (well the financial one at least).
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Next

Return to Brexit