Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

what will Brexit do for us?

For discussion of all matters relating to the UK's departure from the European Union

Re: what will Brexit do for us?

Postby Hairyloon » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:44 pm

atticus wrote:Take one horse.

Kill it.

Then flog it.

Well excuse me for caring about fundamental constitutional principles.
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby atticus » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:46 pm

You are excused for that. But not for flogging dead horses.
atticus - a very stable genius
atticus

Postby Hairyloon » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:59 pm

atticus wrote:You are excused for that. But not for flogging dead horses.

Since the horse in question is democracy it's probably worth a little flogging to see if it can be resuscitated.
Hairyloon

Postby BakersDozen » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:37 pm

Hairyloon wrote:Since the horse in question is democracy it's probably worth a little flogging to see if it can be resuscitated.

oh come on politicians do not believe in democracy, mine wrote and told me so it was the worse form of government, or the best of the worse then quoted churchill.
BakersDozen

Postby Hairyloon » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:49 pm

BakersDozen wrote:
Hairyloon wrote:Since the horse in question is democracy it's probably worth a little flogging to see if it can be resuscitated.

oh come on politicians do not believe in democracy, mine wrote and told me so it was the worse form of government, or the best of the worse then quoted churchill.

Churchill had a lot of good things to say about democracy. He'd be quite appalled at the current state of things.
Hairyloon

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:02 pm

Those people who quote Churchill on democracy seem unaware that he was quoting someone else, and not entirely approvingly.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:04 pm

It was my privilege to hold elected office, and I have known a few Members of Parliament. I can assure you the one thing that unites them all is a commitment to democracy.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby Hairyloon » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:13 pm

"How does the right hon. Gentleman conceive democracy? Just let me explain it to him, Mr. Speaker, or explain some of the more rudimentary elements of it to him. Democracy is not a caucus, obtaining a fixed term of office by promises, and then doing what it likes with the people. We hold that there ought to be a constant relationship between the rulers and the people. "Government of the people, by the people, for the people," still remains the sovereign definition of democracy. There is no correspondence between this broad conception and the outlook of His Majesty's Government. Democracy, I must explain to the Lord President, does not mean, "We have got our majority, never mind how, and we have our lease of office for five years, so what are you going to do about it?" That is not democracy, that is only small party patter, which will not go down with the mass of the people of this country."
Hairyloon

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:19 pm

How is that word “democracy” to be interpreted? My idea of it is that the plain, humble, common man, just the ordinary man who keeps a wife and family, who goes off to fight for his country when it is in trouble, goes to the poll at the appropriate time, and puts his cross on the ballot paper showing the candidate he wishes to be elected to Parliament—that he is the foundation of democracy. And it is also essential to this foundation that this man or woman should do this without fear, and without any form of intimidation or victimization. He marks his ballot paper in strict secrecy, and then elected representatives and together decide what government, or even in times of stress, what form of government they wish to have in their country. If that is democracy, I salute it. I espouse it. I would work for it.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby Hairyloon » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:38 pm

Smouldering Stoat wrote:It was my privilege to hold elected office, and I have known a few Members of Parliament. I can assure you the one thing that unites them all is a commitment to democracy.

Anecdotes are not evidence.
Hairyloon

PreviousNext

Return to Brexit