Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Article 50

For discussion of all matters relating to the UK's departure from the European Union

Article 50

Postby miner » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:25 am

Well, it seems that the signed Article 50 Notification that the United Kingdom is leaving the European Union is now in Brussels, to be handed to Donald Tusk, President of the European Council, in the morning.

It is a momentous date for the United Kingdom.

I believe that our Prime Minister has so far handled herself very responsibly in its dealing with Brussels since the Referendum result, despite the plethora of silly and irresponsible statements made by various senior officials in Brussels over the past few months. To be fair, some UK government official have also made some silly statements, but they have not been so absurd or as offensive as many made by the Brussels Brigade. Theresa May and her colleagues have treated the Brussels officials in quintessentially British style, with respect and politeness.

It will be interesting to see if and how long it takes for the likes of Barnier, Juncker, Verhofstadt etc to let their arrogance overtake their brainpower and make themselves look even more ridiculous than they already have done. I sincerely hope, however, that even they will see that it is in the best interests of the UK and the EU to keep negotiations on an even keel so that future relations between the parties are to their mutual advantage.

I'm not holding my breath, though, given what I've seen so far of the absurd utterances by the EU Politburo.

We are entering very interesting times, and I have the confidence that the UK will soon fare much better outside the EU than inside it. If this marks the beginning of the end of the EU it will have only itself to blame.
miner

Re: Article 50

Postby dls » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:59 am

These will be interesting and difficult times. I have no doubt that we will have to fight a hard corner, but we have to determine to resist all temptation for name calling. We say 'No' as often as is necessary, but keep it very polite.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby atticus » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:17 am

I have been called names for making that very suggestion. When you use derogatory language about those with whom you disagree it tends to say a good deal more about you.
atticus

Postby diy » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:22 am

It will be all done and dusted by the end of next week :mrgreen:
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Postby miner » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:53 pm

If the intransigence and stupidity as reported today in the media on the part of Verhofstadt, Merkel and Hollande etc are an indication of how Brexit negotiations are likely to proceed, we could well be out within the two years. The sooner the better, I say. Better to be out asap and for the UK to get on with its future trading relationships rather than waste our time dealing with such entrenched attitudes emanating from a thoroughly corrupt, incompetent, failed entity trying to flex muscles which are no longer connected to its body.

dls, I believe that your viewpoint on this was correct - that we will be out, and our position defaults to WTO rules, as, reading between the lines, Theresa May has suspected would be the case anyway.

The fact that such intransigence has appeared within 24 hours of our submission of Article 50 shows just how desperate the EU is. Any negotiations which take place will be with the crew of a rotten, sinking ship anyway.

I cannot see TM tolerating the EU crew's nonsense for very long.
miner

Postby miner » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:54 pm

diy wrote:It will be all done and dusted by the end of next week :mrgreen:

Well, maybe not by the end of the week, but it could be much sooner than 2 years!
miner

Postby atticus » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:03 pm

Article 50 provides that a state's membership of the EU ends 2 years after notice is given, or earlier if a withdrawal agreement which so provides has been concluded.

http://www.lisbon-treaty.org/wcm/the-li ... le-50.html
atticus

Postby miner » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:18 pm

Exactly.
miner

Postby dls » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:18 am

Or later is parties are unanimous in wanting to extend the time. But it would be a lack of unanimity which got them into that position.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby Hairyloon » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:31 am

The Article 50 letter is on its way to Brussels. Theresa May's team have been desperately trying to get the details right. Tone is everything, they say. We need to set the right attitude from the start.

If only they thought this way before. In the weeks after the referendum result, European leaders were shell shocked. They needed reassurances. They needed to know that Britain intended to pursue the divorce cautiously, respectfully and with as much consideration for their own project as its own.

http://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2017/03 ... article-50
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Next

Return to Brexit