Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

BATNA

For discussion of all matters relating to the UK's departure from the European Union

BATNA

Postby atticus » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:13 pm

In my line of work, when negotiating for clients, I sit down with clients and work out the options. Those who theorise about the process will tell you that you should always understand your BATNA (best alternative to a negotiated agreement).

This is not, it appears, our government's approach: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... avid-davis

Oh well.
atticus

Re: BATNA

Postby tph » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:52 am

In terms of an economic assessment of the impact of leaving the EU a complete assessment is likely to take a considerable length of time and given the likely accuracy of such an assessments is probably not worth undertaking. Also the consideration of the economics above all else is partly to blame for why people voted to leave the EU in the first place.
tph

Postby atticus » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:11 am

"Well Mrs May and Mr Davis, it's been a tough two years, but I think we've got there. Will you recommend these terms to your Parliament?"

[May looks at Davis]

"Dunno."

"Do you have a better alternative?"

[Davis looks at May]

"Dunno."
atticus

Postby diy » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:02 pm

The key word is "Full" - its one thing to not have done a full assessment, its another to not do any assessment. In my world our BATNA is the walk away option, which is normally where we work out the point that its bad business and better to walk than make a loss. I suspect they may be thinking more in-line that they have a walk away scenario, but have not fully assessed what the looks like.
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Postby atticus » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:17 pm

That key word does not feature; does not appear to have been used.

Your business's walk away option (as you describe it) is rather different.
atticus

Postby tph » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:45 pm

The problem with such an agreement is that there many facets to it and there is a BATNA for each. The problem arises when one facet becomes reliant on the other.

Personally I think the EU will work hard to reach an agreement or at a minimum agreement on certain areas as it has too much to lose if it does not.
tph

Postby diy » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:46 pm

headline: Government has not assessed impact of leaving EU with no deal
first line: The government has not carried out a full assessment of the potential economic impact of Britain leaving the EU without a trade deal, the Brexit secretary has told a committee of MPs.

Did I miss something?
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Postby atticus » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:57 pm

Yes. The full report. Have you seen the video of his appearance before the committee?
atticus

Postby Hairyloon » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:18 pm

atticus wrote:Yes. The full report. Have you seen the video of his appearance before the committee?

No, could you please give a synopsis? Or did you do that already?
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby atticus » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:22 pm

Do you provide synopses when you post links?
atticus

Next

Return to Brexit