Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

The Bill

For discussion of all matters relating to the UK's departure from the European Union

The Bill

Postby diy » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:36 am

So Round 1 of the negotiations will be each side presenting the other the costs for exit. Based on press articles neither has any ability to make the other pay.

It seems to me that a fundamental aim of any investment is to get a return or benefit. Therefore to me, if we are still to get the same benefits we had during membership, it is right that we continue to pay in to these projects. If however our exit means we no longer get these benefits, then I see no basis for continued investment. Article 50 seems like a classic right to terminate for convenience or even a right to cancel. giving neither the ability to charge or reclaim.

I also see an argument that where we have historically invested money in the creation of EU assets that we are entitled to use, we also could expect to have some title to those assets. If we are no longer getting them - we should be able sell our stake as you would a share holder or director.

Based on financial contribution we represent about 10% of the "common stock" in the EU. There is a logical argument that we get the value of our 10% less all exist costs.

I very much predict this wont happen - If we are heading for hard brexit, lets not waste our travel expenses drinking coffee and eating biscotti when we could nip over the pond and get on with replacing the lost trade. I've always preferred donuts and cookies any way.
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Re: The Bill

Postby miner » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:14 pm

The first phase is that we sever our membership of the EU.

We may well end up with new arrangements on many aspects which suit us but which are similar to those which we had as a member, but those are not granted or agreed or adopted under any membership of the EU, leaving the UK outside any of the EU's rules, regulations and controls.

The essential feature is that our membership comes to an end first, in its entirety. Whatever happens thereafter is a new arrangement.

I agree with you, diy, that we should not waste our travel expenses and time drinking coffee and eating biscotti when we can and will not only replace any lost trade (and there won't be much, if any, as the EU has had us hamstrung by its increasing bureaucracy for so many years) and increasing our trade with other countries unhindered by the wretched EU.

Our PM seems unlikely to tolerate any of the EU's customary delaying tactics and sees the need for the UK to prosper as quickly as possible via increased trade with the Commonwealth countries and significant other nations such as India who are eager to do so.

We should take a leaf out of the new US President's book and put the United Kingdom first, something we have been prevented from doing for 4 decades via the EU and its predecessor setups.
miner

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:21 pm

...and then the land will flow with milk and honey, and everyone will have their own owl.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby atticus » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:30 pm

May I say how pleased I am to read that the current President is putting the UK first.
atticus

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:38 pm

I think miner has made a typographical error, and meant to refer to the President of the European Commission and his comments today that we will be welcome to rejoin in due course. Which, of course, eventually we will.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby miner » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:55 pm

atticus wrote:May I say how pleased I am to read that the current President is putting the UK first.

You know perfectly well what I meant.
miner

Postby miner » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:57 pm

Smouldering Stoat wrote:..... Which, of course, eventually we will.

You're becoming as much of a dreamer as Hairy!

The EU as we know it today will be long since gone.
miner

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:59 pm

miner wrote:
atticus wrote:May I say how pleased I am to read that the current President is putting the UK first.

You know perfectly well what I meant.

We can only tell what you meant by looking at the ordinary meaning of your words. Perhaps you should calm down and choose them more wisely.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:59 pm

miner wrote:

It will be much better. I'll raise a wee dram to you the day we rejoin.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby miner » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:04 pm

Smouldering Stoat wrote:
miner wrote:

It will be much better. I'll raise a wee dram to you the day we rejoin.

That'll be a delight! Just make sure it's a nice single malt!
miner

Next

Return to Brexit