Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Europe Considers Its Own Nuclear Deterrent

For discussion of all matters relating to the UK's departure from the European Union

Europe Considers Its Own Nuclear Deterrent

Postby 3.14 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:24 pm

BERLIN — An idea, once unthinkable, is gaining attention in European policy circles: a European Union nuclear weapons program.

Under such a plan, France’s arsenal would be repurposed to protect the rest of Europe and would be put under a common European command, funding plan, defense doctrine, or some combination of the three. It would be enacted only if the Continent could no longer count on American protection.

SOURCE: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/06/worl ... p=cur&_r=1
Hide in the noise. #hackerwisdom

Re: Europe Considers Its Own Nuclear Deterrent

Postby dls » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:15 pm

Given Trumps unthinkable trumps and t etime scales and e size of the issues, it would be sensible for Europe to make plans which provide for all possibilities.

Many plans are properly made with no expectation that they will ever be needed.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby atticus » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:19 pm

And many kites are flown without ever becoming policy.
atticus

Postby shootist » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:47 pm

3.14 wrote:
BERLIN — An idea, once unthinkable, is gaining attention in European policy circles: a European Union nuclear weapons program.

Under such a plan, France’s arsenal would be repurposed to protect the rest of Europe and would be put under a common European command, funding plan, defense doctrine, or some combination of the three. It would be enacted only if the Continent could no longer count on American protection.

SOURCE: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/06/worl ... p=cur&_r=1

France give away control of it's nuclear arsenal? Another possibility I don't need to worry about.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby miner » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:56 pm

dls wrote:Given Trumps unthinkable trumps and t etime scales and e size of the issues, it would be sensible for Europe to make plans which provide for all possibilities.

Many plans are properly made with no expectation that they will ever be needed.

Europe, yes, but emphatically NOT the EU. But I'd have the thing run with the Brits and the Germans in charge, and exclude the French from any administrative involvement in it.
miner

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:44 pm

I'm sure the French will give your suggestion that their Force de Dissuasion should be run by the British and Germans the consideration it deserves, miner.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby 3.14 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:53 pm

They don't have to give it away. The French can do exactly what the Americans are doing.
Hide in the noise. #hackerwisdom

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:56 pm

Exactly the same as the Americans? You mean elect an extremist blonde with shady links to the Russians?
Smouldering Stoat

Return to Brexit