Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

EU citizens and the lords

For discussion of all matters relating to the UK's departure from the European Union

EU citizens and the lords

Postby diy » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:57 am

According to sources :
There are around 1.2 million British born people living in another EU country, according to figures provided by the UN. Around 800,000 will be workers and their dependants. This is much less than the estimated 3.3 million people born in another EU country who now live in the UK.

Is it me or are the lords completely bonkers to demand the government protect the rights of the 3.3 million living here unilaterally?

I do not get why they are asking for this. It would be easier to understand if their proposed amendment was to protect the rights of EU citizens living here and also those brits living in the EU. But given the numbers even doing that seems daft.
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Re: EU citizens and the lords

Postby atticus » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:55 am

Do any of these people do anything useful in the UK?
atticus

Postby diy » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:49 am

The lords?, the Ex-pats or the EU nationals?
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Postby atticus » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:52 am

The people living here. I am hoping to get the OP to think a little.
atticus

Postby Hairyloon » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:19 pm

Is it not a simple question of basic decency? It is not good form to use people as "bargaining chips".
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby shootist » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:46 pm

Hairyloon wrote:Is it not a simple question of basic decency? It is not good form to use people as "bargaining chips".

How, if this is the case, might you feel if the all rights of all EU citizens living in the UK were guaranteed and after Brexit the EU gave all British citizens the heave ho? Never mind whether they would, or could, or want to, just if they did. Neither side is being used as bargaining chips, just negotiating fair play, which is what basic decency is all about.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby miner » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:48 pm

In an eminently sensible move many months ago, the UK Prime Minister attempted to provide commitments to the 3.3 million citizens of the 27 other EU counties living in the UK in tandem with a reciprocal arrangement in respect of the 1.2 million British citizens living in the EU but the EU wasn't even interested in discussing the issue until Article 50 was invoked.

If the EU had not been so intransigent, this would have been settled long before now in the interests of all of the citizens involved, but the EU wanted to use this as a bargaining tool.

Particularly given the 3:1 adverse relationship of the numbers of citizens involved, TM was quite right not to engage in the childish game the EU is playing.

There has never been any real doubt that the existing residency rights of both groups will be protected. The only decision is when the cutoff date will be, and the UK government has sensibly suggested that it be the date on which Article 50 is signed. Hopefully that will be next week.

The Lords' recent decision merely showed that those who voted in favour of it never properly understood the issue they were voting for, as it is irrelevant to the main point of issue. All those clowns were doing for the most part was childishly promoting their own puffed-up egos before the cameras.

All the Lords' stupidity has done is accelerated the démise of the HoL in its present form.

At the end of the day, the EU knows that it doesn't have much to negotiate with in respect of Brexit, and that the EU itself is a rapidly-sinking ship.
Last edited by miner on Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
miner

Postby miner » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:53 pm

Hairyloon wrote:Is it not a simple question of basic decency? It is not good form to use people as "bargaining chips".

Since when have most politicians, especially those in the unelected EU hierarchy, acted with "basic decency" uppermost in their minds?
miner

Postby atticus » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:24 pm

You may not agree with them, but most do. There are always exceptions, Farage being one.
atticus

Postby miner » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:45 pm

atticus wrote:You may not agree with them, but most do.

Many if not most might start off like that, but they nearly all very quickly become like pigs at the trough which feeds them.

There are always exceptions, Farage being one.

Farage is one of the most influential British politicians of recent times. In my view it is partly if not largely due to his impact and influence that the UK is exiting from that den of corruption and incompetence that is the EU.

Do you seriously believe that Nicola Sturgeon is acting with "basic decency" towards the people of Scotland? Even the media are now routinely referring to her fundamental, inherent dishonesty.
miner

Next

Return to Brexit