Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Lords Debate on Brexit

For discussion of all matters relating to the UK's departure from the European Union

Re: Lords Debate on Brexit

Postby miner » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:07 pm

The clarity exists in any dictionary if you establish the meaning of "suborned".

Are you remunerated at all by the EU?

Pratticus, you're really getting quite desperate with some of your inane comments!
miner

Postby atticus » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:13 pm

Another charming and gracious reply. Courtesy and manners are so rare nowadays!
atticus

Postby Hairyloon » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:27 pm

A Conservative peer has revealed how she was branded a “slut”, a “whore”, a “harlot” and “scum” for warning Brexit would be bad for Britain.
Baroness Wheatcroft told the House of Lords of the “irrational hostility” she received while campaigning for a ‘Remain’ vote.
The peer and former newspaper editor has argued there should be second referendum on the deal Theresa May strikes with Brussels.
She said on Monday evening the referendum “seems to have unleashed a wave of anger and intolerance which is truly frightening and dangerous for this country”.
“When I dared to voice my ​concerns over the outcome of the referendum, my postbag—both virtual and real—was awful. It was astonishing that people actually put stamps on those diatribes.
“There were plaintive messages from UK citizens living in Europe who now feel completely abandoned, but there were many more, branding me ‘slut’, ‘whore’, ‘harlot’, ‘scum’ and much, much worse. Encouraged, no doubt, by various, more vicious parts of the media.”

Linky.
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby dls » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:49 pm

She said on Monday evening the referendum “seems to have unleashed a wave of anger and intolerance which is truly frightening and dangerous for this country”.

Such is utterly unacceptable - but hasn't the behaviour ofmany remainers been similarly tempered? It is a topic which raises hackles.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:52 pm

Has it?
Smouldering Stoat

Postby Hairyloon » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:44 pm

dls wrote:

Such is utterly unacceptable - but hasn't the behaviour ofmany remainers been similarly tempered? It is a topic which raises hackles.

I have seen little evidence of that, but I've seen a lot of very angry Brexiters.
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby dls » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:45 pm

You can start with Lib Dems foaming at the mouth.

Each side has been blind to its own sins at the expense of raging at the terrible deeds of the other. I see myself almost in teh middle on this, and neither side has behaved well.

From an adjacent thread: "We are angry, we who believe in the great project of the European Union and the UK’s place in it. We are angry with Brexit and what underlies the Brexit debacle. I want to review systematically all the reasons why we are angry, in order that we can keep those reasons constantly and firmly before our eyes so that we remain angry, and can use our anger to fight to keep the UK in the EU,"
dls
Site Admin

Postby dls » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:11 pm

I have not seen the proposed amendment to the bill from the lords to equire parliamentary of any deal struck, but the terms are a little unfortunate. I do not know the betting odds, but suspect that an exit without a deal looks more and more likely. Where would that leave such an amendment?
dls
Site Admin

Postby shootist » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:59 pm

One of the many down sides of the internet is the high volume of keyboard warriors. I have recently been dipping my toe (figuratively speaking) into Facebook (Face ache more like) and there is an incredibly high number of totally illiterate irrational keyboard warriors who's idea of debate is merely to hurtle abuse. The trouble is, when the abuse is hurtled at public figures then it carries a force, which also then allows the public figure to speak of these scumbags as if somehow they are part of that society which disagrees with the public figure.

I think it a shame that the internet can be so anonymous. If it was within my power I would make it so that every post by every person can identify them by name and address.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:10 pm

shootist wrote:... an incredibly high number of totally illiterate irrational keyboard warriors who's idea of debate is merely to hurtle abuse.

:roll:
Smouldering Stoat

PreviousNext

Return to Brexit