Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Lords Debate on Brexit

For discussion of all matters relating to the UK's departure from the European Union

Re: Lords Debate on Brexit

Postby Hairyloon » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:13 pm

dls wrote:
Whether Article 50 is irrevocable in law or practice is unclear.

Then why did everybody involved in the recent case at Admn and the Supreme Court take this as a given? Were they all just playing silly buggers?

They weren't just playing.
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:16 pm

They could have agreed that the moon was made of cheese but that wouldn't have made it so. It suited both sides, for differing reasons, to proceed on that basis. The question of whether it is irrevocable was not put to the court.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby LoveandPeace » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:17 pm

Smouldering Stoat wrote:Whether Article 50 is irrevocable in law or practice is unclear.

The European Parliament will have a vote on the deal, but apparently it us undemocratic to ask for our Parliament to do the same. Taking back control ...

Although we didn't get that right when laws were made for us in European Parliament. If they don't then can we not just veto the original act in Parliment that caused us to enter the EU. I can't quote the Act as I can't remember right now but I'm sure you will all know what I'm talking about.

On the point of EU (as that is the reason I am here) it has been touted around recently asking people to quote laws made in the EU. I am wondering if anyone could quote a law created in the EU (not originally created in UK). A few would be good and helpful, if any.

Thank you.
LoveandPeace

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:22 pm

You are thinking of the European Communities Act. We could repeal it and, as a matter of domestic law, EU law would cease to be applied by our courts. It would not release us from our international treaty obligations and would lead to the impression that our signature on a treaty was no longer to be trusted. The UK is noted for not going back on its debts or other obligations.

An interesting question for Brexiteers is, which EU law would you repeal, and what would you replace it with?
Smouldering Stoat

Postby Hairyloon » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:32 pm

Were there any grounds to re-open that question at the supreme court when it was common ground at the High court?
There, the Claimants adopted the precautionary principle: since we do not know, we should assume it is a one way ticket, and the Former Home Secretary clearly felt that any suggestion that A50 could be withdrawn might be seen as an attempt to "stay in by the back door".
Hairyloon

Postby Hairyloon » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:35 pm

Smouldering Stoat wrote:An interesting question for Brexiteers is, which EU law would you repeal, and what would you replace it with?

I've had a few answer that with the Human Rights Act, on account of prisoners votes and that hate preacher that the Home Secretary of the day repeatedly failed to deport...
Hairyloon

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:36 pm

Is that the Human Rights Act that has nothing to do with the EU?
Last edited by Hairyloon on Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Couth adjustment.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby tph » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:44 pm

I'm not sure I would repeal it but I would certainly change schedule 2 of the Conservation Regulations so that the species covered were more relevant to the UK.
tph

Postby Hairyloon » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:45 pm

Smouldering Stoat wrote:Is that the Human Rights Act that has nothing to do with the EU?

Even if it weren't, both of those issues could have been sorted out if the Home Secretary of the day had been in any way competent.
Last edited by atticus on Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited by hairy who doesn't speak Anglo-Saxon.
Hairyloon

Previous

Return to Brexit