Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

MPs and the Referendum

For discussion of all matters relating to the UK's departure from the European Union

Re: MPs and the Referendum

Postby atticus » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:21 am

Not those who are the best at toeing the party line?
atticus

Postby Hairyloon » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:51 am

dls wrote:I would question as a non sequitur that MPs having different views from the majority of their electors necessarily shows that they are out of touch...

If they had been at all in touch, then they would not have been so surprised at the result.
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby Hairyloon » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:53 am

atticus wrote:Not those who are the best at toeing the party line?

And there you have put your finger on one of the fundamental flaws in the way we do things.
Hairyloon

Postby tph » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:28 pm

Hairyloon wrote:
tph wrote:If you consider the system of election in this country there is no requirement for a candidate to be any more intelligent than the average person...

No requirement, but one might expect the candidate selection mechanisms to favour the more intelligent.

There are of course different forms of intelligence not all of which are measurable.

Personally I favour honesty and integrity over education and intelligence. The problem with selecting people solely on education and intellect is that these are qualities equally held by the most dishonest members of society.
tph

Postby dls » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:12 pm

There are of course different forms of intelligence not all of which are measurable. Personally I favour honesty and integrity over education and intelligence.

You are entirely correct, but these things are not easily to be disentangled. Put it moregenerally if you wish - but you can see a dumb politician (Trump - Prescott), and you can see dangerous ones (Brown).
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby Hairyloon » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:33 pm

tph wrote:Personally I favour honesty and integrity over education and intelligence...

What you favour is hardly the relevant issue when all you are offered is the choice of this party stooge or that party stooge.
Hairyloon

Postby shootist » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:51 pm

Hairyloon wrote:
tph wrote:Personally I favour honesty and integrity over education and intelligence...

What you favour is hardly the relevant issue when all you are offered is the choice of this party stooge or that party stooge.

It is so wonderfully easy to offer criticisms of, well, just about anything you don't like. Isn't it.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby tph » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:56 pm

Hairyloon wrote:

I don't offer anything. I am simply commenting that trying to change anything has it's pitfalls.
tph

Postby tph » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:04 pm

dls wrote:
There are of course different forms of intelligence not all of which are measurable. Personally I favour honesty and integrity over education and intelligence.

You are entirely correct, but these things are not easily to be disentangled. Put it moregenerally if you wish - but you can see a dumb politician (Trump - Prescott), and you can see dangerous ones (Brown).

I think you underestimate both Trump and Prescott. If Trump is dumb what does that make Clinton for not being able to beat him?

Playing the fool has worked well for Boris, but he is certainly no idiot.
tph

Postby Hairyloon » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:15 pm

shootist wrote:
Hairyloon wrote:

It is so wonderfully easy to offer criticisms of, well, just about anything you don't like. Isn't it.

Are you unfamiliar with the theory of causality?

tph wrote:
Hairyloon wrote:What you favour is hardly the relevant issue when all you are offered is the choice of this party stooge or that party stooge.

I don't offer anything. I am simply commenting that trying to change anything has it's pitfalls.

Did you misread my "offered" as "offering"? If not, then I'm not making sense of what you say, aside from the warning about pitfalls.
Hairyloon

PreviousNext

Return to Brexit