Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

MPs and the Referendum

For discussion of all matters relating to the UK's departure from the European Union

Re: MPs and the Referendum

Postby shootist » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:13 am

Hairyloon wrote:Are you unfamiliar with the theory of causality?

Are you aware that at some time today it will be half past four?
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby Hairyloon » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:51 pm

shootist wrote:
Hairyloon wrote:Are you unfamiliar with the theory of causality?

Are you aware that at some time today it will be half past four?

Are you trying to change the subject, or are you asking that I spell out the point for you?

shootist wrote:It is so wonderfully easy to offer criticisms of, well, just about anything you don't like. Isn't it.

It is wonderfully easy to offer criticisms of things that are so badly in need of criticism. And very often, those criticisms provide firm grounds to dislike.
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby shootist » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:44 pm

Hairyloon wrote:
shootist wrote:It is so wonderfully easy to offer criticisms of, well, just about anything you don't like. Isn't it.

It is wonderfully easy to offer criticisms of things that are so badly in need of criticism. And very often, those criticisms provide firm grounds to dislike.

The suggestion is that it is pointless offering criticism unless you might at least give an alternative to consider. It's usually just after offering that suggestion that you realise the problem is a lot more difficult than was thought. There really is no purpose in pointing at something and wailing "Bad!" if you cannot suggest at least an improvement.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:53 pm

That's quite true. Just the other day I saw someone's house on fire and thought to myself 'I'd better not say anything, because I'm not an expert on fire extinguishers.'
Smouldering Stoat

Postby shootist » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:34 pm

Smouldering Stoat wrote:That's quite true. Just the other day I saw someone's house on fire and thought to myself 'I'd better not say anything, because I'm not an expert on fire extinguishers.'

A man should know his limitations.
shootist

Postby Hairyloon » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:42 pm

shootist wrote:
Hairyloon wrote:

The suggestion is that it is pointless offering criticism unless you might at least give an alternative to consider. It's usually just after offering that suggestion that you realise the problem is a lot more difficult than was thought...

Then perhaps you are jumping in too early with your alternative suggestions?
Spend a little more time identifying the problems and a little less criticising people for identifying the problems... then, when we've found all the problems we can, that is the time for the alternative proposal.
Hairyloon

Postby miner » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:05 pm

Hairyloon wrote:.... then, when we've found all the problems we can, that is the time for the alternative proposal.

Hairy, mon ami, you seem to spend your life looking for problems. Unfortunately, Hairy, nothing ever seems to be "right" in your book. If one looks for problems, one can always find them and go on finding them if one tries hard enough. So many of them are ultimately trivial, on the grand scale of things.

My business career and private life have been spent overcoming problems - where they exist - by finding viable, practical solutions to them and implementing those solutions. It seems that the only "solutions" which you generally offer are ones which are based on Utopian theories, and as such are so often impractical and/or not realistically implementable. One solves, or makes an attempt to solve what one can and then gets on with life, instead of trying to re-live the past. Do the latter, and one finds oneself going round and round in ever-decreasing circles until one finally disappears up one's own rectal orifice.

And I thought I was a cynic...! ;)
miner

Postby shootist » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:18 pm

Hairyloon wrote:Then perhaps you are jumping in too early with your alternative suggestions?
Spend a little more time identifying the problems and a little less criticising people for identifying the problems... then, when we've found all the problems we can, that is the time for the alternative proposal.

The problems you highlight are most often ones that many others consider problems also, and have pointed them out here and there. There is very little purpose in being the last person in the crowd to point out that the King's new clothes do not exist.
shootist

Postby Hairyloon » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:42 am

shootist wrote:The problems you highlight are most often ones that many others consider problems also, and have pointed them out here and there. There is very little purpose in being the last person in the crowd to point out that the King's new clothes do not exist.

I have run into problems so many times through assuming that somebody knows something that I have thought was bleedin' obvious.
Thus the purpose of pointing out the bleedin' obvious is to begin to establish what is known and agreed upon.
Hairyloon

Postby atticus » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:05 am

Consider whether your assumptions have been mistaken.
atticus

PreviousNext

Return to Brexit