Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

An MP's duty...

For discussion of all matters relating to the UK's departure from the European Union

An MP's duty...

Postby Hairyloon » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:18 pm

Are we here all agreed that an MP's first duty is to do what he thinks is best for the country?

There were a great many MP's during the debate on the Brexit Bill who said "I think this is a terrible idea, but I'm going to vote for it anyway" or words to that effect.
Is that saying anything other than "to hell with my duty"?

Is it really constitutionally credible to proceed with a parliament full of members who are so openly abandoning their duties?
Shouldn't we have had an election?
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Re: An MP's duty...

Postby tph » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:50 pm

Hairyloon wrote:Are we here all agreed that an MP's first duty is to do what he thinks is best for the country?

No. I think sometimes they have to make that call but it certainly not an overriding duty.
tph

Postby atticus » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:54 pm

Hairy - isn't the problem that what you want isn't going to happen, and that there is no way you can make it happen?

Politics has been described as "the art of the possible ".
atticus

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:04 pm

It is, of course, possible for a Member of Parliament to conclude that it is best for the country to respect the result of the referendum.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby Hairyloon » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:46 pm

Smouldering Stoat wrote:It is, of course, possible for a Member of Parliament to conclude that it is best for the country to respect the result of the referendum.

If that is what they have concluded, then why are they not saying so?

atticus wrote:Hairy - isn't the problem that what you want isn't going to happen, and that there is no way you can make it happen?

I can see that is what it looks like, but no. I am not nearly so concerned about our departure from the EU as I am by the moral, intellectual and constitutional bankruptcy that the governance of this country appears to be exhibiting... and apparently almost without challenge.
Hairyloon

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:56 pm

They are saying so. That is the position of very many, if not most, of the current House of Commons.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby Hairyloon » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:15 pm

Smouldering Stoat wrote:They are saying so. That is the position of very many, if not most, of the current House of Commons.

No they are not, they are saying that it will be very bad for the country.
Hairyloon

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:37 pm

What they are saying is, as far as I can see, that while they personally wanted to Remain, it is better for the country for them to respect the result of the referendum. That seems to me to be a perfectly respectable position: the damage to the country from ignoring the result could well be worse than that which results from Brexit. That's not to say that I agree with that position; merely that it is well within the range of proper responses.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby tph » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:42 pm

Smouldering Stoat wrote:What they are saying is, as far as I can see, that while they personally wanted to Remain, it is better for the country for them to respect the result of the referendum. That seems to me to be a perfectly respectable position: the damage to the country from ignoring the result could well be worse than that which results from Brexit. That's not to say that I agree with that position; merely that it is well within the range of proper responses.

I agree.
tph

Postby Hairyloon » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:56 pm

I agree that it is within the range of acceptable responses, but it is not what I recall issuing from most of the members that I heard during the relevant debate.
Hairyloon

Next

Return to Brexit