Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

An MP's duty...

For discussion of all matters relating to the UK's departure from the European Union

Re: An MP's duty...

Postby miner » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:09 pm

Smouldering Stoat wrote:Only if you want to be accused of having been bribed.

That further progress towards union was envisaged is made clear in the Treaty of Rome: among the opening paragraphs is the famous reference to "ever closer union." And, as we've seen in another thread, the Yes campaign in 1975 were quite explicit about progress towards political union.

Bollocks.
miner

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:21 pm

I see the great age of political discourse is not yet dead. It's a good job you're not being paid by the word.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby miner » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:32 pm

Smouldering Stoat wrote:Nevertheless, the 1975 referendum referred to "the European Community (the Common Market)" and not the European Economic Community.

In 1975 it was a European trading community, not a political entity. Of course, with hindsight, it's now clear what was in the minds of the corrupt and dishonest Brussels hierarchy in 1975.

I know what I voted for in 1975, and why, and it wasn't for anything other than an expanding Trading Entity, according to the information provided by Government sources of the time.

Stoaty, you clearly must have had clairvoyant abilities in 1975. Were you old enough to vote then?
miner

Postby atticus » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:40 pm

atticus wrote:Even in the early 1970s,the EC was a political entity, and not just a trading bloc. All kinds of laws were made to achieve harmonisation, to achieve a levelling of the playing field in trade. This involved equalisation of social policy, of economic policies, regulation of state aid, imposition of fishing quotas. Shall I go on?
atticus

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:42 pm

Primary sources from the time are quite clear.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby miner » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:46 pm

atticus wrote:
atticus wrote:Even in the early 1970s,the EC was a political entity, and not just a trading bloc. All kinds of laws were made to achieve harmonisation, to achieve a levelling of the playing field in trade. This involved equalisation of social policy, of economic policies, regulation of state aid, imposition of fishing quotas. Shall I go on?

All you have done is quoted your own quote, Pratticus.

What was the original source of those statements, and when were they written?
miner

Postby atticus » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:46 pm

Indeed, stoaty. I remember a lot of this from our "general studies" classes at the time.

Those who were old enough to vote in 1975 will remember exactly why messrs Powell and Benn were campaigning about loss of sovereignty.
atticus

Postby atticus » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:51 pm

miner wrote:All you have done is quoted your own quote, Pratticus.

So delightfully expressed! But if I may have the temerity to correct you, and with all due respect, in fact what I quoted was not itself a quotation when I first wrote it.

I do believe that what I wrote was correct, for reasons I have stated elsewhere in this engaging discussion.
atticus

Previous

Return to Brexit