Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

EU rule

For discussion of all matters relating to the UK's departure from the European Union

Re: EU rule

Postby LoveandPeace » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:53 pm

Hairyloon wrote:
LoveandPeace wrote:
Hairyloon wrote:
atticus wrote:I think you can start by explaining your purpose in posting that graphic. I have commented on it.

Do you suggest the facts have changed? Or do you think the Former Home Secretary believes the facts have changed?

The above is on the assumption we are always told the FULL facts.

The above comments only on the facts that were presented.

That is exactly what I am saying. It's not what they say, it's what they don't say. It is standard (personal rule) for all politicians and political campaigns.

Snow White will never emerge from any of the above.
LoveandPeace

Postby tph » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:23 pm

LoveandPeace wrote:
I'd also be interested to know if Scotland do end up going Independent (as I think this is looking a lot more likely than it has in the past) then what happens if Scottish citizens buy wine in France and travel through England to get home?

If rUK adds a duty on then how will they manage to eliminate an element of fraud (if a Scot decides to off load in England) or will Scots still have to pay the extra duty?

The post Brexit polls for Scottish independence do not suggest a different result to the last referendum. So I am not convinced they would get independence.

However if they did they would have to rejoin Europe as an independent country. On this I am not sure on whether they would qualify.

But if they did and in the case of the scenario you posed they would have to pay whatever duty (if any) that was required when they bought goods into UK. The only way they could get round that is if they travelled directly to Scotland either by plane or by boat.
tph

Postby LoveandPeace » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:09 am

tph wrote:The post Brexit polls for Scottish independence do not suggest a different result to the last referendum. So I am not convinced they would get independence.

However if they did they would have to rejoin Europe as an independent country. On this I am not sure on whether they would qualify.

But if they did and in the case of the scenario you posed they would have to pay whatever duty (if any) that was required when they bought goods into UK. The only way they could get round that is if they travelled directly to Scotland either by plane or by boat.

Thank you for answering my question.

I'd just like to mention on the Scottish Brexit vote it shouldn't be taken as being fully true when memebers of the Scottish Goverment say Scotland voted to stay in. Yes that was the voting result. so they are right in stating that but many who voted for in (wanted to vote leave) but viewed another bash at indyref as more important than the EU issue. I know many people would have voted for Brexit and supported Brexit but strategically voted to Remain. Some of their candidates were telling Scottish citizens to vote Remain for an Indy2 otherwise they wouldn't get it.

The Scottish vote has never been properly analyst by the media. They seem untouchable.
LoveandPeace

Postby diy » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:42 am

There are a few things that have changed since the last Scottish referendum.
Leaving the UK to remain in the EU (or rather rejoin the EU) would result in the loss of the £. Trade in against the Euro would be appalling value for Scottish people. Scotland would have none of the opt outs that the UK previously acquired. So we'd probably end up need trump to build another wall to manage the border between England and open bordered EU.
There's no oil and gas money left.
With England out of the EU, ready to race to the bottom on tax, you'd find Scotland a bit uncompetitive.
Spain would still block Scotland from joining, there is no promise they could get back in.
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Postby dls » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:19 am

I think the big thing is the money. the eu will hardly at the same time welcome losing one of its biggest contributors, and taking in one of the most dependent states.

There was a UK vote. there was no other.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Brexit