Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

EU rule

For discussion of all matters relating to the UK's departure from the European Union

Re: EU rule

Postby diy » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:02 pm

Irrelevant of the date - its a very bad use of statistics. Individual exports are called out and then compared to the EU as a whole. India and china are very dependant on exports. What is important is the balance of trade between each member state

Below is a list showcasing 15 of United Kingdom’s top trading partners in terms of export sales. That is, these are countries that imported the most UK shipments by dollar value during 2015. Also shown is each import country’s percentage of total UK exports.
United States: US$66.5 billion (14.5% of total UK exports)
Germany: $46.4 billion (10.1%) vs $54.8 billion. to us
Switzerland: $32.2 billion (7%)
China: $27.4 billion (5.9%)
France: $27 billion (5.9%) vs. $35.2 billion to us
Netherlands: $26.6 billion (5.8%)
Ireland: $25.5 billion (5.5%) vs $16.8 billion to us
Belgium: $17.8 billion (3.9%)
Spain: $13.1 billion (2.8%) $20.8 billion to us
Italy: $12.9 billion (2.8%)
United Arab Emirates: $10.3 billion (2.2%)
Hong Kong: $9.6 billion (2.1%)
South Korea: $7 billion (1.5%)
Saudi Arabia: $6.7 billion (1.5%)
Sweden: $6.6 billion (1.4%)

Almost three-quarters (72.9%) of UK exports in 2015 were delivered to the above 15 trade partners.
Among these top trade partners, UK imports to China rose in value at the fastest pace from 2011 to 2015 with a 94.2% gain.
In second place were South Korean importers, which grew their imports from the UK by 72.9%.
Saudi Arabia and United Arab Emirates boosted their imports purchases by 36% and 23.5%, respectively.
America’s imports from the UK increased by 5.7% over the 5-year period.

http://www.worldstopexports.com/united- ... -partners/

the world is changing rapidly.
Last edited by diy on Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Postby dls » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:16 pm

The graphic makes the rather strange assumption that if we leave the EU suddenly all trade with member states will cease. Yes, the terms of trade will change. What needs to be understood always is that whilst on such changes there will be losers, on such change there will also be winners. There is no reason to think that one side will outnumber the other.

This morning the BBC, rather stupidly, announced in typical 'make it look bad if you can' mode announced the 'fall' of the pound against the dollar. It ignored two significant factors. First this is far far more a story about the dollar rising against many currencies, and, again, that a change in the pound/dollar rate makes our own businesses more competitive as against US businesses providing competing goods.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:54 pm

dls wrote:The graphic makes the rather strange assumption that if we leave the EU suddenly all trade with member states will cease. Yes, the terms of trade will change. What needs to be understood always is that whilst on such changes there will be losers, on such change there will also be winners. There is no reason to think that one side will outnumber the other.

It doesn't make that assumption. It observes that changing the terms of trade may put it under threat. If trade is threatened, from where is a replacement going to come? It is a fair question.

This morning the BBC, rather stupidly, announced in typical 'make it look bad if you can' mode announced the 'fall' of the pound against the dollar. It ignored two significant factors. First this is far far more a story about the dollar rising against many currencies, and, again, that a change in the pound/dollar rate makes our own businesses more competitive as against US businesses providing competing goods.

The pound has been falling against most currencies. The US dollar has also been falling.

Indeed a falling pound does make exports more competitive: it also makes imports more expensive. Businesses may be more competitive, but their costs are higher; and we're now so tightly tied in to European supply chains that competitiveness may be quite illusory. There was a chap on the Today programme a few weeks ago explaining that the components of a Ford car can cross the channel up to a dozen times before they become a car.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby LoveandPeace » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:43 pm

Hairyloon wrote:
atticus wrote:I think you can start by explaining your purpose in posting that graphic. I have commented on it.

Do you suggest the facts have changed? Or do you think the Former Home Secretary believes the facts have changed?

The above is on the assumption we are always told the FULL facts. They only tell us what they want us to know.

The Remain camp have been so hell bent on their message of equality however what they failed shout about and tell the masses was the number of UK visa's given to non-eu's has dramatically fallen over the past decade or so since we opened up the borders more to other EU countries.

That act in itself does not drive home a message of equality to me. This is also the same with other EU countries. They have pretended their has been no issues with open borders in it's current form but the visa situation tells another story.
LoveandPeace

Postby LoveandPeace » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:47 pm

Smouldering Stoat wrote: There was a chap on the Today programme a few weeks ago explaining that the components of a Ford car can cross the channel up to a dozen times before they become a car.

I wonder if that is more of an acccounting 'technique' as I find the above hard to believe. No business person in their right mind would find that set up being acceptable.

How much CT does Ford pay, I do wonder.
LoveandPeace

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:55 pm

No, I mean physically. There are trainloads of car parts that go back and forth through the Channel Tunnel every night. They quite often used to hold me up when I used to work the last train out of Victoria at night.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby Hairyloon » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:57 pm

LoveandPeace wrote:
Hairyloon wrote:
atticus wrote:I think you can start by explaining your purpose in posting that graphic. I have commented on it.

Do you suggest the facts have changed? Or do you think the Former Home Secretary believes the facts have changed?

The above is on the assumption we are always told the FULL facts.

The above comments only on the facts that were presented.
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby tph » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:52 pm

We do a lot of trade with Europe through the services sector.

A lot of this involves non goods based trade I.e. a London based Architect designing a building in Milan. No one has really explained how this would be impacted when we leave the EU.
tph

Postby LoveandPeace » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:42 pm

Smouldering Stoat wrote:No, I mean physically. There are trainloads of car parts that go back and forth through the Channel Tunnel every night. They quite often used to hold me up when I used to work the last train out of Victoria at night.

I don't believe they go back and forth for the amount of times stated by the said chap but I do believe (you) materials travel across the channel in both directions.. I would have to personally witness the full work in progress to believe it.
LoveandPeace

Postby LoveandPeace » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:50 pm

tph wrote:We do a lot of trade with Europe through the services sector.

A lot of this involves non goods based trade I.e. a London based Architect designing a building in Milan. No one has really explained how this would be impacted when we leave the EU.

I think you are asking a question which is one of many questions we are all awaiting an answer on.

I'd also be interested to know if Scotland do end up going Independent (as I think this is looking a lot more likely than it has in the past) then what happens if Scottish citizens buy wine in France and travel through England to get home?

If rUK adds a duty on then how will they manage to eliminate an element of fraud (if a Scot decides to off load in England) or will Scots still have to pay the extra duty?
LoveandPeace

PreviousNext

Return to Brexit