Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Non-resident Quitlings.

For discussion of all matters relating to the UK's departure from the European Union

Re: Non-resident Quitlings.

Postby miner » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:08 pm

Smouldering Stoat wrote:
None of these attempts have been successful.

So at the end of the day, there's not much really to learn from them!

Despite being large, ethnically-diverse and in many respects somewhat cobbled-together, the US is one of the world's most stable countries.

it is, indeed, and likely to become even more so.

Yugoslavia fell apart but Germany was reunited.

The situation with Germany was rather different to the others.

And looser groupings of states can survive for considerable periods:

Indeed they can, and the European Economic Community would likely have survived and been very successful if the clowns in Brussels hadn't turned it into a political entity and made such a hash of it.

It is (genuinely) a pity you have not studied more history. It would have given you a much broader view.

And the things I did study (Languages and Science/Engineering) and extensive travel provided me with an excellent basis for a successful and interesting career and greatly broadened my knowledge and views on a whole raft of subjects and issues. History would never have done that for me, as I simply wasn't interested in ancient history, which was what the contemporaneous school curricula seemed to concentrate on.

When I see the TV programmes about the folk living Alaska being so adept at adaptation, improvisation and repurposing items, I see myself being a bit similar in my thought processes to them. In any event, the skills my family and I have learned and developed have enabled my family to enjoy a better and more satisfying life than any of us would have had without those skills.
miner

Postby LoveandPeace » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:47 pm

miner wrote:L & P - I happen to have been looking at the same subject over the past day or two and have reached much the same conclusion as you.

The UK does seem to have considerable exposure to the EU's financial nonsense via the IMF and in any case I cannot and do not trust and of the EU's statements on our exposure because they do not always tell us the whole truth.

I am not claiming to know lots about the IMF or even much of the EU structure. It's all very recent to me in terms of looking at it. However, what I do know, in terms of our direct commitments on guarantees to the EU (not to the specific countries within the EU as we are not liable to them), our liabilites (guarantees) are on the large side to say the least.

miner wrote:Stoaty's statement is likely true as far as it goes, but is only a part of the story of our ultimate potential financial exposure.

Yes I fully agree.

I agree, we need to get out and we need to get out fast.
Last edited by LoveandPeace on Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
LoveandPeace

Postby LoveandPeace » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:52 pm

Smouldering Stoat wrote:
LoveandPeace wrote:Ireland bailed out their banks and we bailed out Ireland via the IMF (I know not the EU).

Are you proposing that we should leave the IMF as well?

No but I am direct and straight to the point so I wasn't trying to misguide you in my answer and pretend the funding was under direction of the EU.

I don't know that much about the IMF .... well, not yet.
LoveandPeace

Postby LoveandPeace » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:59 pm

dls wrote:
If the Eurozone get into trouble then we could be in a lot of financial trouble as we are hooked in via the EU system

The Eurozone is already in a lot of trouble. We share the same planet and are exposed to all of these things, but to differing degrees and by different mechanisms some more direct than others.

Leaving the EU will reduce our direct exposure, but we could not be exempt.

Absolutely I totally agree with you Mr S as staying in our exposure is financially worrying to say the least.
LoveandPeace

Postby LoveandPeace » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:00 am

Hairyloon wrote:
dls wrote:The Eurozone is already in a lot of trouble. We share the same planet and are exposed to all of these things...

Isn't that the bigger issue? And one that we will only crack through working together.

Agreed but we as a country will be better off coming out to work together as being in our financial exposure verges on insanity in my opinion.
LoveandPeace

Postby atticus » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:25 pm

En Europe, le Brexit ne fait pas envie.
http://mobile.lemonde.fr/idees/article/ ... tml?xtref=

Editorial in Le Monde.
atticus

Postby dls » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:16 pm

I do not find teh article very convincing - at least in its Google translated version.

Describing those who want to leave the EU as Europhobes is rather myopic.It has the same miserable spirit of hate and resentment which underlies the title to this thread. It is exactly the elision of the distinction between Europe, its nations and peoples, and the European Commission which is the deliberate delusion beloved of the Commission at the expense of the European populations.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby atticus » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:38 pm

We must have been reading different articles. Admittedly, I read the French. Perhaps it is fairer to say that you got hung up on one word, at the expense of your being able to take in the main thrust of the article, which is that in the other EU member states there is (minority groups notwithstanding, miner) no great appetite to leave the EU - Brexit is not striking a chord.
atticus

Postby Hairyloon » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:52 pm

Indeed, I have heard some say that Brexit is strengthening the remaining EU. I don't claim to have been convinced by that, but neither do I dismiss the claim.
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby miner » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:45 am

Hairyloon wrote:Indeed, I have heard some say that Brexit is strengthening the remaining EU. I don't claim to have been convinced by that, but neither do I dismiss the claim.

Bollocks it is! They must be dreaming. The UK's departure is depriving it of one of its major contributors to its coffers, and with full justification.
miner

PreviousNext

Return to Brexit