Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Excellent News on Brexit

For discussion of all matters relating to the UK's departure from the European Union

Re: Excellent News on Brexit

Postby Hairyloon » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:53 am

atticus wrote:Of course Sky is owned by some arch-Brexiteer, and the poll is part of an agenda to put pressure on the government to act in a way that pleases Sky's owner.

Did I hear she's off to collect her new instructions early next month?
The Americans are conveniently installing their new president, so she has a handy cover story for the visit.
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby Hairyloon » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:04 am

dls wrote:In fact, nothing at all unless you include a failure to start them by not having issued an Article 50 notice.

As I recall, the then Prime Minister promised faithfully, with at least as much apparent sincerity as his promise that this was a final decision, that he would invoke Article 50 right away in the event of the result that we had.

Two questions: why do we hold one of his promises as sacrosanct and the other we are happy to ignore entirely?
And, where would we be now if he had made good on that promise?
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby miner » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:50 pm

dls wrote:A lot of this was summed up by the utter stupidity of yesterday's Sky poll/ It had the unashamed idiocy to ask people how they thought that the UK was getting on with negotiations to leave the EU. 50% said they were unhappy. Since such negotiations have not started, there is not much to be unhappy or happy with. In fact, nothing at all unless you include a failure to start them by not having issued an Article 50 notice.

My working assumption is that we voted to leave the EU and in doing so to leave the single market. I do not think it will be on offer, and if not then we have voted to live with the result.

Exactly. We voted to LEAVE the political entity known as The European Union. LEAVE it lock, stock & barrel. We are not "leaving Europe" - which is a geographical entity.
miner

Postby miner » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:01 pm

atticus wrote:And here's Barrister Blogger's brilliant take on the Ivan Rogers affair.
http://barristerblogger.com/2017/01/04/ ... minal-bar/

And you actually READ that crap, full of its foul language?

As a moderator, I'm rather surprised that you insulted the rest of us by even posting it. It also seems to place you in an invidious position with your so-called "professional body". I respectfully suggest you remove it forthwith.
miner

Postby atticus » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:05 pm

I suggest that you sod off.
atticus

Postby miner » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:20 pm

atticus wrote:By Robin Lustig: We're up Brexit Creek without a paddle.
http://lustigletter.blogspot.co.uk/2017 ... 6.html?m=1

"Lustig" means "funny" (as in Funny ha-ha") or "amusing" in German, which, according to one's viewpoint the article may well be.

It's a load of complete and utter bollocks, anyway. He doesn't have a clue about what he is writing about.

It seems that this airhead has written the article for the sole purpose of shamelessly promoting and advertising his forthcoming book. (See his final paragraph if you ever reached it.)

Atticus - I for one become ever more surprised by your increasing propensity to post links to such utter crap. I thought you were rather more professional than that!

Maybe the time has come for you to relinquish your "Resident Remoaner" status here and the enormous chip you nurture on your shoulder following the result on 23 June 2016 and realize that Brexit is actually going to happen?
miner

Postby miner » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:22 pm

atticus wrote:I suggest that you sod off.

Charming - particularly as is emanates from a Moderator.
miner

Postby atticus » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:29 pm

John 8:7
atticus

Postby miner » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:40 pm

atticus wrote:John 8:7

And what has Brexit to do with religion?

Maybe use your Moderator status to start a new thread elsewhere if you want to introduce religion?
miner

Previous

Return to Brexit