Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Brexit

For discussion of all matters relating to the UK's departure from the European Union

Re: Brexit

Postby Hairyloon » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:09 pm

AC Grayling wrote:We are angry, we who believe in the great project of the European Union and the UK’s place in it. We are angry with Brexit and what underlies the Brexit debacle. I want to review systematically all the reasons why we are angry, in order that we can keep those reasons constantly and firmly before our eyes so that we remain angry, and can use our anger to fight to keep the UK in the EU, and if the great and terrible cheat that is Brexit manages to steal the UK out of the EU, to stay angry and therefore to keep fighting until the UK is back in the EU...

http://acgrayling.com/we-are-angry
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby miner » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:51 pm

Promoting anger as AC Grayling does in his long, tedious and ill-informed rant is unsophisticated and childish and diminishes his credibility.

For a number of years he was a columnist on The Guardian newspaper,

.... which tells one quite a lot about him.

This clown is living in his own Alice-in-Wonderland world, bereft of any semblance of reality.
miner

Postby Hairyloon » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:00 pm

Well argued as ever miner.
Hairyloon

Postby tph » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:16 pm

One thing that I have not been able to find out about is whether the EU deal negotiated by Cameron is still valid? Is there a time limit on such deals?
tph

Postby atticus » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:24 pm

The day after the referendum M Juncker said that the special deal negotiated by the UK was being taken off the table.
atticus

Postby tph » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:43 pm

So even if we back down from serving an article 50 notice we would still have to negotiate with the EU over our continued membership.
tph

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:20 pm

We could continue our membership as it is now.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby atticus » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:32 pm

Yep.
atticus

Postby Hairyloon » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:04 pm

atticus wrote:The day after the referendum M Juncker said that the special deal negotiated by the UK was being taken off the table.

Remind me again, what was the deal? This was the one where he was going out asking for almost nothing and coming back with slightly less.
Hairyloon

Postby dls » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:48 pm

So even if we back down from serving an article 50 notice we would still have to negotiate with the EU over our continued membership.

There are no rules, so yes, if we could back down, a continued would be on whatever terms could be nogotiated. The tiny exemptions we have - Schengen and non-Euro would be probably be a given loss.

There is hoever no provision for withdrawing an article 50 notice. It is given and membrship ceases after two years, agreement or no.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Brexit