Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Labour's position

For discussion of all matters relating to the UK's departure from the European Union

Labour's position

Postby dls » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:35 pm

I know I must have this wrong, but I need help understanding.

TM says 'No deal may be better than a bad deal'. There are worse possibilities than simply leaving the EU on standard international trading terms.

Labour says 'Wrong. You must be an extreme brexiteer' - All deals must be better that standard terms. (illogical, but it might just be excused if you still believe in the essential good character of the EU) That is any possible offer from the EU must always be better than no deal.

However, they say that they will wait for the deal, and if it is nnot good theywill vote againat it - suggesting an apparent preference for standard terms over some possible EU offers.

Am I alone in seeing a straight self contradiction?
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
User avatar
dls
Site Admin
 
Posts: 12261
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:35 pm
Location: Brighouse, West Yorkshire

Re: Labour's position

Postby Hairyloon » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:44 pm

I can only assume that there position is one of being run by idiots. The hypothesis appears to fit the available evidence.
Take me to your lizard...
User avatar
Hairyloon
 
Posts: 10079
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:12 pm
Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Re: Labour's position

Postby miner » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:14 pm

Hairyloon wrote:I can only assume that there position is one of being run by idiots. The hypothesis appears to fit the available evidence.




That there position is, indeed, being run by idiots. :) (Sorry!)

Nothing new there, then!
Last edited by miner on Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
miner
 
Posts: 2341
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:22 am

Re: Labour's position

Postby miner » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:22 pm

dls wrote:I know I must have this wrong, but I need help understanding.

TM says 'No deal may be better than a bad deal'. There are worse possibilities than simply leaving the EU on standard international trading terms.

Labour says 'Wrong. You must be an extreme brexiteer' - All deals must be better that standard terms. (illogical, but it might just be excused if you still believe in the essential good character of the EU) That is any possible offer from the EU must always be better than no deal.

However, they say that they will wait for the deal, and if it is nnot good theywill vote againat it - suggesting an apparent preference for standard terms over some possible EU offers.

Am I alone in seeing a straight self contradiction?


Yes, having re-read what you have said above, my conclusion from Labour's statements is that you are correct. They have, indeed, contradicted themselves. Corbyn's loony lot don't know what they Trot out from one day to the next.

".... essential good character of the EU..."? Pardon?
miner
 
Posts: 2341
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:22 am

Re: Labour's position

Postby shootist » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:12 am

It is the nature of the Opposition to oppose. So what else can they say? They could not possibly agree with the Conservatives and so the present for their weak minded hard of thinking followers the proposition that the deal has to be better or they'll vote against it. No mention of 'What then?' because that's too difficult.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
User avatar
shootist
 
Posts: 3558
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:40 pm

Re: Labour's position

Postby dls » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:47 am

No mention of 'What then?' because that's too difficult.


I suppose that they would anticipate that they could in fact demonstrate that a deal negotiated to get back into the EU would in fcat be worse than a no-deal exit.

I get lost in this.

Yes it is the job of the opposition to oppose, but they seem here to be opposing themselves.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
User avatar
dls
Site Admin
 
Posts: 12261
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:35 pm
Location: Brighouse, West Yorkshire

Re: Labour's position

Postby Hairyloon » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:51 am

shootist wrote:They could not possibly agree with the Conservatives and so the present for their weak minded hard of thinking followers the proposition that the deal has to be better or they'll vote against it...

What about the rest of the followers? Some follow despite the incompetence because Labour are probably still the best chance for any significant change.
Take me to your lizard...
User avatar
Hairyloon
 
Posts: 10079
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:12 pm
Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Re: Labour's position

Postby miner » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:20 pm

dls wrote:.... Yes it is the job of the opposition to oppose, but they seem here to be opposing themselves.


Yes, but their problem is that they are so stupid that they cannot see it!
miner
 
Posts: 2341
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:22 am

Re: Labour's position

Postby miner » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:22 pm

Hairyloon wrote:
shootist wrote:They could not possibly agree with the Conservatives and so the present for their weak minded hard of thinking followers the proposition that the deal has to be better or they'll vote against it...

What about the rest of the followers? Some follow despite the incompetence because Labour are probably still the best chance for any significant change.


Change which would take the UK back into the '50s!
miner
 
Posts: 2341
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:22 am

Re: Labour's position

Postby diy » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:42 pm

If you want to stop the conservatives from potentially ruling for the next 10 years, then you have to paint a picture that her aims are to be some sort of evil dictator/president and that she is after some sort of extreme brexit. Personally I think she is looking for the best hand to negotiate the best deal and take her at her word that she was a reluctant remainer. However with the rhetoric coming from the EU about having an annual adjustment to the brexit bill, there is a strong argument for saving our bother and going hard. At least positioning that as our strategy.

We are in week 1 of the campaign, it does TM no harm to allow JC a bit of air time to set out his stance.

For him to be seen as the alternative to the established political elite like trump is a joke.. He's a life long politician ~35 years an MP a good 10 years longer than TM
My suggestions are not legal advice
User avatar
diy
 
Posts: 2588
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:06 pm

Next

Return to Brexit

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest