Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Difficult to find case law

Case requests, comments, corrections, questions, answers. Just anything an everything about swarb.co.uk

Re: Difficult to find case law

Postby shootist » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:46 pm

I object to their visits because they are so objectionable in the way they go about their work. Nearly everybody convicted of having no TV licence have convicted themselves. The letters that Capita send out are appalling and misleading. In eleven years I have suffered three visits from them. These visits have stopped now the CCTV is fitted and obvious. They choose not to mix it with me, apart from the automated snotograms they send out, and yet it seems they continue to prosecute many lone parent females who are living on minimum benefits. OK, they're committing an offence, but there's precious little else in their lives to enjoy. Their approach on the doorstep generally borders abuse of authority, taking advantage of ignorance on the part of the householder.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:55 pm

I've never had a visit nor a letter, automated or otherwise, from them. How odd.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby Subject » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:05 pm

Smouldering Stoat wrote:I find buying a TV licence keeps them away, too.

Why should you have to jump through hoops for them if you don't own a TV?
"...I could have written all your lines..."
Subject

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:16 pm

I do have a TV. But when I didn't, their hoops were hardly onerous to jump through. Honestly, there are more important things in life to worry about.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby Spankymonkey » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:47 pm

Well I don't watch TV, nor do I have a licence or any intention of buying one. I also find their threat letters insisting that I am breaking the law extremely annoying. I am under no obligation to contact organisations I have no service with, to tell them that I don't require their service and why.
Spankymonkey

Postby shootist » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:41 pm

Spankymonkey wrote:Well I don't watch TV, nor do I have a licence or any intention of buying one. I also find their threat letters insisting that I am breaking the law extremely annoying. I am under no obligation to contact organisations I have no service with, to tell them that I don't require their service and why.

OTOH, their visits can be more entertaining that The Witnesses.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby dls » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:12 pm

I am not sure why you would expect a prosecution if, on their visits, you are able to demonstrate an absence of a TV. Yes, you should not have to prove it, but reconcile yourself with the thought that they are wasting the money the rest of us pay to them.

Now of course there is the additional complication that anyone with a computer or smartphone is able to watch live TV.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby Denning » Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:04 am

I think one way is to look at option of payment operated technologies such like the pay per view technologies. So if you do not pay you cannot have signal to watch TV.
Denning

Postby dls » Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:24 am

It is a system with great discomforts.

In he past we saw far too many people imprisoned, effectively, for poverty.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby Spankymonkey » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:58 pm

dls wrote:I am not sure why you would expect a prosecution if, on their visits, you are able to demonstrate an absence of a TV.

Where did I say I expected a prosecution David? It's their aggressive investigation methods I object to.

And how exactly do I demonstrate to TV Licensing the absence of a TV? Just because there isn't one when they come in (which they won't be doing) doesn't mean there isn't one there the rest of the time. And as watching BBC iPlayer without a licence is also an offence must I also demonstrate that I don't possess a computer?

Besides which I am under no obligation to prove the absence of something to some fifth rate private organisation working on behalf of a tenth rate telly station. Also, is it not a well established legal principle that you cannot prove a negative?

Do the police go door to door asking if they can have a look around to make sure I don't have a shotgun in the house. Something else I'm fairly certain is also a criminal offence to use without a licence.
Spankymonkey

PreviousNext

Return to swarb.co.uk - case law