Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Swarb case law

Case requests, comments, corrections, questions, answers. Just anything an everything about swarb.co.uk

Swarb case law

Postby Spankymonkey » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:49 am

I've been noticing Swarb increasingly appearing at number one in the search results for almost every piece of case law I type in these days.

Who is compiling these case notes? They have cornered the market.
Spankymonkey

Re: Swarb case law

Postby dls » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:04 pm

I do.

I thank you for noticing this, but it is not quite always as you suggest. Sometimes we only just make it into the top five.

My considerable efforts are spent making it more and more true every day by improving and extending the lists.

I face a struggle to persuade all lawyers that the first way to look for case law is via the case reference/citation, and only if that is not available, through tee case name.

It does seem to be working. Our highest ever figures were in early May, hitting just under 32k page views a day. Figures always drop off a cliff in summer, and begin to climb properly again in late September. We are back to just under 20k PV a day, and that figure is again die to climb rapidly, peaking in early December.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby Spankymonkey » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:09 pm

I commend you. It is a legacy. I hope you will capitalise on this eventually.

Could I make one suggestion David? That the menu for areas of law would be better placed beneath the case law notes rather than above it. Or maybe contained within drop down submenus. They are very long and once you land on the page and start to scroll you get the impression that perhaps this is all the page consists of and are tempted to hit the back button again.

Knowing how fickle and impatient internet users are and all that.

Apart from that, I'm curious to know, do you actually sit and read the judgements from start to finish. Or are you compiling your notes from other notes, as it were. How many can you achieve in one day and how many years have you been at it?

Sorry to be so nosey, I'm just curious how you have achieved this.
Spankymonkey

Postby dls » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:23 pm

The category list is a problem. It contributes significantly to the server load, since it is recompiled every time a page is loaded. I am considering a static list which I recompile every day or so, so that when a page loads it simply recovers that text.

Thank you for the comments though. I will think about moving it. I am still unhappy with the layout. One day I will get it right.

I started in 1992. I had a head start. Early versions bore no significant relationship to the current model.

One day I will get it right.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Return to swarb.co.uk - case law