Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Views required

Case requests, comments, corrections, questions, answers. Just anything an everything about swarb.co.uk

Views required

Postby dls » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:32 pm

The swarb.co.uk site has to earn its crust. The only way of it doing so is by advertising.

At the same time, the Wordpress search engine is pretty naff. In particular it falls over on the use of square brackets and on the use of a '-v-' - both of which are pretty essential. So instead, I use the big G as a search engine.It works, and nine times out of ten, any update is reflected in teh big G within a very few minutes.

I learned today that some ad-blockers also block the G search widget. I know one or two here use ad-blockers (as you are free to do). It would assist if any such could assist by saying whether the search box appears at the top of the page.

There remains a question about whether I should do anything about it. My feeling is no. People are free to use ad-blockers, but it amounts to a two fingered salute to web site operators, and in this particular case, to me.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Re: Views required

Postby miner » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:40 pm

The "search" box does appear at the top of my screen, dls.
miner

Postby dls » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:49 pm

DO you use a blocker? Would you tell me which (by email if you like)?
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby Hairyloon » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:30 pm

Seems to be there under adguard.
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:17 pm

AdBlock Plus seems to remove the search box.

I don't like using an ad blocker; but unfortunately so many sites see to have ads that are large, slow to load or are so obtrusive that they seriously interfere with my browsing. The Independent is terrible in this respect.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby shootist » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:31 pm

I use Adblock Plus and there is a search box at the top right of the phBB banner. It seems to dig out only results from this site. I would have no problem in disabling it for this site if the ads were kept moderate. The reason I installed Adblock was the websites for the local rags which are so ad heavy with images and videos that they are almost inaccessible.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:40 pm

I assumed David was referring to the search box on swarb.co.uk rather than here; ABP removes the former but not the latter.
Smouldering Stoat

Return to swarb.co.uk - case law