Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

direct and indirect contact

Case requests, comments, corrections, questions, answers. Just anything an everything about swarb.co.uk

direct and indirect contact

Postby veritas2409 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:42 pm

Quick question , please correct if I'm wrong

Direct Contact= Face to Face

Indirect= Email , posting on private social media accont , follower requests , Text

Does anybody know what category a phone call is in ?

Answers even with abuse appreciated
veritas2409

Re: direct and indirect contact

Postby atticus » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:58 pm

a telephone call between two persons is direct communication between them.

an e-mail or text or "friend request" etc between two persons is surely also direct communication between them, as is posting on the other person's social media site or even me replying here to you.

If A sends an e-mail to B, who forwards it to C, the contact between A and C may, I suppose, be described as indirect.

Is there a purpose to this? The phrases "direct contact" and "indirect contact" may have particular meanings in certain contexts.

Is this about an injunction in a family law context?
atticus

Postby dls » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:25 pm

If there is any doubt get clarification of the order.
I would think it a direct contact - it is unmediated
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby 3.14 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:46 am

My understanding is that if you were forbidden from direct contact, then I suggest you comply.
Hide in the noise. #hackerwisdom

Postby atticus » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:06 pm

And certainly don't try to get cute about it.
atticus

Postby veritas2409 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:40 am

Nothing to do with family contact , it is about the terms of a PIN for harassment. I think it is a disgrace indirect contact isn't more clearly defined. I think post people would say that whether they are direct or indirect contact the following would be contact , Email , posting on private social media accont , follower requests , phone calls , texts. I guess it really doesn't matter if they are direct or indirect.

The grey area is the full extent of indirect contact , the police seem to think that this precludes you from making any comment on Twitter that you have every right to make because the person who you are supposed to have harassed will read it and take offence , even though the mesage isn't specifically aimed at him but is more a complaint about the way the organisation has dealt with your complaint against him.

He might of found the message not to his liking , but nothing is false or abusive and is totally to do with his professional role. If the PIN was more explicit this wouldn't happen , something like "Don't post comments in relation to X" , off course this might NOT happen as that would be a gagging order

Where does this stop ? If you were the editor of a newspaper and you were constantly making comments that were professionally critical of Mr X , is that harassememt if at the same time you are informing your readers , MR x will be reading it.
veritas2409

Postby dls » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:54 am

In an harassment case a telephone call is clearly direct contact.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby atticus » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:00 am

I suggest that the OP avoids contact full stop. No letters phone calls texts posts on social media contact/follower requests messages via friends. If the OP has a cunning plan to circumvent this, then he should file that plan under "ways to get in bigger trouble".
atticus

Postby shootist » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:15 am

Slight lack of full story here. If I understand it correctly, a PIN (police information notice?) is nothing more than a means of formally telling you that the object of your attentions doesn't want them and that further pursuit may then come under the heading of harassment. If I'm correct then it's simple. Have you read about young people 'tombstoning'? They jump off cliffs into water and some get killed. The PIN is like someone standing next to you just before you jump and saying "This could easily kill you." You then have a decision to make. You could always try contacting the Jeremy Kyle Show.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby 3.14 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:43 pm

It seems like you are in a slightly better place than I initially thought. You are in a place where you can decide not to go down a route that will get you into trouble.
Hide in the noise. #hackerwisdom

Next

Return to swarb.co.uk - case law