Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

New adventure

Case requests, comments, corrections, questions, answers. Just anything an everything about swarb.co.uk

New adventure

Postby dls » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:28 pm

Over the last few days, I have had several inspirations leading me to consider very seriously an upgrade to the structure of the case law presentation.

At the moment, the links are from case to case. In essence, that link will be preserved, but the more direct link will be from a point being made in one case to the same/related point as made in earlier cases and or developed subsequently. The idea at its simplest is that we follow the argument through case law, rather than the case to case structure.

Does this make sense to anyone but me?
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Re: New adventure

Postby diy » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:59 pm

yep you're talking about hashtags? Data categorisation and classification to the geeky. In other words the ability to follow a tag through the case law based on the argument or subject.

You see this quite a lot in non-relational data warehouses where the data isn't indexed at all, its just tagged and mapped. You organise on the fly according to how you want to follow the tags.
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Postby dls » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:33 pm

Any more info?
dls
Site Admin

Postby Slartibartfast » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:08 pm

dls wrote:The idea at its simplest is that we follow the argument through case law, rather than the case to case structure.

A huge adventure, but you might lay the foundations of a truly modern on-line reference system. As a lay reader, I would be very happy to see a system like that. I have previously mooted the idea of a wiki-like structure where legal points, precedents, judges etc can be followed across cases. I am doubtless not the first, not the thousandth, to imagine this.
"Judicial tergiversation is not to be encouraged"
Slartibartfast

Postby dls » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:56 pm

In several ways I am not a huge distance away, but implementing it will be very difficult.

I need to not disturb the system I have. It is working well, and I have to be sure I am not going backward.
dls
Site Admin

Postby Hairyloon » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:07 pm

Sounds like you probably want to run the two systems in parallel for a while.
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby diy » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:25 pm

At the end of the day the case references are like academic papers. There are titles, key words, abstracts and references. What you actually want to be able to do is generate a database that holds the articles in their raw form and then separately holds meta-data that allows them to be indexed on the fly. Nothing new so far.. You want the process of generating the meta-data totally automated based on a data discovery tool that can read the article and propose metadata. You tweak the discovery rules rather than manually reviewing the cases. You then want the statistical relevance for the meta data based on basic data science principles so people can assess what confidence they should have in the relevance. Lastly you want a crowd sourcing model to firm up the relevance via voting or similar.

there are commercial products that do this, there isn't much in the open source world though.

you might start by reading up on Apache Hadoop - but it wont be able to do this without many man hours of tooling.

I can send you some private links to reading material so you can get an idea of how big companies are looking at this challenge.
diy

Postby dls » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:24 am

Thank you. Spoken like a true computer person.

I do not keep the full text of cases. I do not have copyright, and I have no desire to disturb what I hope is a friendly relationship with bailii etc.

In a sense there is no need to use AI methods to do this - the connections are explicit within the cases. Equally my very limited use of such tools does not promise great enough reliability. Rough guesses would only produce frustration, resistance and eventually rejection. Using such a system would already be a mighty stretch for most lawyers.
This is not going to happen overnight - I am thinking about it, and occasionally drawing connections, and I go back and forth as to what the feel is for the best structure.

I will have a look - and again thank you.
dls
Site Admin

Postby diy » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:14 pm

interesting, I might load balii in to a big data discovery tool and see what meta data it came up with. I'm not sure there is a copyright issue as you won't be copying anything. it's similar to say a google generated snipit. more of an enhanced browser

ps I'm no computer person ;). but I do try to listen when the geeks are geeking
diy

Postby atticus » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:27 pm

I'm not sufficiently techy, and that is partly why I have not replied to date.

dls, can you give an illustration of the kind of thing you have in mind?
atticus

Next

Return to swarb.co.uk - case law