Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Why is this news so quiet?

The law relating to media, internet, telecomms etc

Why is this news so quiet?

Postby Hairyloon » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:55 pm

The 4th Viscount St Davids, one Rhodri Philipps, also known as Lord Strange of Knockin, Lord Hungerford, and Lord de Moleyns, has been charged with making malicious communications, with racially aggravated factors in respect of threats he is alleged to have made to Gina Miller.

This is a peer of the realm making threats against someone because they have asked that the government respects the rule of law.
Am I being unreasonably outraged by that?
I am rather more annoyed at how little we are hearing about that small point: almost all of the headlines say only "man charged", and the fact that he is titled is buried deep in the text, and in a manner that doesn't make it clear that it is actually a peerage: at first glance I thought it a mock title such as that held by the late Lord Sutch.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39197756
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Re: Why is this news so quiet?

Postby 3.14 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:30 pm

It's been noted on his wiki page as has his bankruptcies. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhodri_Ph ... l_problems
Hide in the noise. #hackerwisdom

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:07 pm

He has a peerage but he is not a member of the House of Lords. Only a minority of hereditary peers are entitled to sit in the Lords.

I think there's a reluctance on the part of the news media to draw too much attention to these kinds of campaign, for fear of provoking copycat attacks. We should also note that he has been charged and not convicted, and the heinous penalties which may be inflicted on those who prejudice his right to a fair trial.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby miner » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:48 pm

It's simply not very newsworthy!
miner

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:54 pm

Well, the Telegraph have run a report on it, so you may well be right.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby miner » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:02 pm

Smouldering Stoat wrote:Well, the Telegraph have run a report on it, so you may well be right.

Your favourite bible, the Guardian, ran a report on it as well. Maybe you missed it?
miner

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:11 pm

I read it there too; but I am not the one saying that it is not very newsworthy. In fact, quite a lot of outlets have reported this story that is not newsworthy. Perhaps you are using a different definition of newsworthy. Or perhaps you are just confused again.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby tph » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:54 pm

Perhaps the outcome of the trial is awaited.
tph

Postby Hairyloon » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:26 pm

tph wrote:Perhaps the outcome of the trial is awaited.

I thought that, but either a Lord has been charged and they can report that, or he hasn't and they cannot. It is the reporting of the incident and the hushing of the Lordship that has annoyed me.
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby tph » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:07 pm

Perhaps the Lord has employed a firm of solicitors who have informed the mainstream media of his intentions to seek damages for anything considered dafamatory.

It could also be that the nature of the alleged offence makes it difficult to report without being prejudicial to the trial.
tph

Next

Return to Media