Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

BBC Bias

The law relating to media, internet, telecomms etc

Re: BBC Bias

Postby dls » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:52 pm

The allegation of bias in this case is just nonsense.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby Hairyloon » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:03 pm

dls wrote:The allegation of bias in this case is just nonsense.

This case, yes.
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby Russell » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:23 pm

I've hardly seen a positive headline for remain. Its quantifiable so no doubt it will be assessed due to the complaints.
If you can't talk about the problem, how are you ever going to even start talking about the solution?
Russell

Postby miner » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:39 pm

And nor is there any in 3 of the 4 main tabloids tomorrow. The Mail, the Sun and the Express all favour Exit. The Mirror favours Remain.

Quite a lot of last-minute influence on the Undecideds can emanate from those tabloids.
miner

Postby Russell » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:47 pm

I'd have thought the true headline was Boris' standing ovation.
If you can't talk about the problem, how are you ever going to even start talking about the solution?
Russell

Postby atticus » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:36 am

There is a school of thought that newspapers follow their readers; they don't lead them.
atticus

Postby diy » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:33 am

In the bbc revised charter thingermy it was agreed that the TV license laws will be updated to close the "loophole" which allows people to watch iPlayer etc.. They better be careful with their drafting otherwise you'll need a license to watch youtube.

I do find it odd that we need a license to watch content not funded by the bbc, but that on-line content exclusively funded by the license fee does not require a license.

so.. the rules are changing.
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Postby Russell » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:56 am

Reply received today:

Thanks for contacting us about BBC News’ recent coverage of the UK’s relationship with the European Union. We appreciate you feel our coverage has shown bias in favour of remaining in the E.U.

We have received a wide range of feedback about our coverage of this story across our news programmes and bulletins. Keeping in mind pressures on licence fee resources, this response seeks to address the key points raised. That said we apologise in advance if your complaint has not been specifically addressed here.

During our coverage of this story over the past few weeks and months we have done our utmost to report with due impartiality - hearing from a wide range of contrasting views, across our programmes and bulletins. This included hearing from prominent Eurosceptic figures from the respective campaigns, from the political parties and from commentators and journalists from across the media. We have heard from those who will vote to leave the E.U., from those who will vote to remain, and from those who have yet to make up their minds. We have also put together a detailed Q&A on the upcoming referendum which attempts to answer a range of questions readers may have while including a webform in case they wish to submit others for us to consider. (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-32810887 )

As with any story we cover, BBC News does not have an opinion on the European Union, or on the UK’s position within it. Instead we try to explore and explain the often complex factors which affect our audience as voters in an upcoming referendum. This means issues like immigration and national security, the economy, immigration and sovereignty, amongst others, will be discussed. Our aim is to give our audience the information they need so they can make up their own minds in their own time.

We know that there is no area of its output where the BBC’s commitment to due impartiality and independence from political influence is more closely scrutinised than in reporting election and referendum campaigns. The BBC has published the following specific guidelines: http://www.bbc.co.uk/editorialguideline ... /appendix8

A key part of these guidelines is the BBC’s commitment to due impartiality. As explained in the guidelines:

“Due impartiality is not necessarily achieved by the application of a simple mathematical formula or a stopwatch, but the objective – in a referendum with two alternatives - must be to achieve a proper balance between the two sides. This will be irrespective of indications of relative levels of support. However, referendums are seldom fought purely on the basis of just two opposing standpoints – on each side, where there is a range of views or perspectives, that should be reflected appropriately during the campaign.”
(http://www.bbc.co.uk/editorialguideline ... partiality )

We appreciate your concerns and hope this goes some way in putting our coverage in the wider context of our reporting of this subject.

Kind regards
Tanya McKee
BBC Complaints Team
Russell

Postby Russell » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:03 am

I call, bluff, BS, fob off. I think the only way to understand the content of the coverage would have been via Phenomenological Analysis. Further, I don't think content of coverage is actually the point. In the digital age the headline is often what people will read (especially with coverage that spans so many articles) and I read almost no Pro-Leave headlines.
Russell

Postby Voldemort » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:41 pm

Russell wrote: I read almost no Pro-Leave headlines.

Maybe because aside from a lot of deluded jingoistic hyperbole, there wasn't much to read; especially as the few benefits highlighted by the leave campaign, evaporated almost immediately after they won.

There are only so many articles you can write on the amazing “lets hope for the best” strategy.
Voldemort

PreviousNext

Return to Media