Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Inappropriate or not?

The law relating to media, internet, telecomms etc

Inappropriate or not?

Postby smuge » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:28 am

Hi Guys. Could the word "Chinky/s" (relating to the uk Chinese community) be considered a racist comment? Ive looked on-line but cannot find anything definitive. I have a forum of a cpl of thousand members and the word is becoming an issue within the community.

Thanks in advance.
smuge

Re: Inappropriate or not?

Postby shootist » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:48 am

In this age where people are ever eager to take offence wherever, however, and whenever possible, I would say that yes, it's inappropriate, at least by the standards of the morally superior holier than thou, or anyone else, self righteous, eagerly seeking someone to condemn in order to demonstrate their divine qualities.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby atticus » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:05 pm

Another viewpoint is that your choice of words can betray your prejudices. Far better to be measured and respectful.

If you ever find yourself defending something you have said by saying that it was just banter, then you are already in trouble. Far better to apologise and say you really didn't mean to offend. Unless you did.
atticus

Postby Slartibartfast » Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:18 pm

The question isn't easy, because abbreviated terms sometimes have negative connotations and sometimes they don't. Nobody minds being called an Aussie, a Canuck or a Brit. Other terms like Yank, Frog, Paki and Chinky unfortunately do carry a certain tone of derogatory meaning, and would probably be perceived as racist by most people.
"Judicial tergiversation is not to be encouraged"
Slartibartfast

Postby Boo » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:00 pm

What's stopping you from discussing this issue with the Chinese community, they do have a voice and an opinion, ya know?

I was at a footy match watching my son play and made a comment about how good an eastern asian player was to the mums in earshot. One mother said, he's not asian, he's Chinese!
God - "I have made Mankind!"
Angels - "You screwed up a perfectly good monkey is what you did. Look at it. It's got anxiety!"
Boo

Postby 3.14 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:07 pm

If you have to ask...
Hide in the noise. #hackerwisdom

Postby shootist » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:19 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:The question isn't easy, because abbreviated terms sometimes have negative connotations and sometimes they don't. Nobody minds being called an Aussie, a Canuck or a Brit. Other terms like Yank, Frog, Paki and Chinky unfortunately do carry a certain tone of derogatory meaning, and would probably be perceived as racist by most people.

See my earlier remark about people choosing to take offence where offence is not necessarily given.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby Russell » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:16 pm

People have totally lost the concept of context. You can now offend when there was no intention to offend and that's a major causes of segregation. The more different someone is from you the greater the risk of unintentionally offending them and the more likely people will opt for an easier life and seek out familiarity. Very sad!
If you can't talk about the problem, how are you ever going to even start talking about the solution?
Russell

Postby dls » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:03 am

Yes
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby Slartibartfast » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:08 am

shootist wrote:
Slartibartfast wrote:The question isn't easy, because abbreviated terms sometimes have negative connotations and sometimes they don't. Nobody minds being called an Aussie, a Canuck or a Brit. Other terms like Yank, Frog, Paki and Chinky unfortunately do carry a certain tone of derogatory meaning, and would probably be perceived as racist by most people.

See my earlier remark about people choosing to take offence where offence is not necessarily given.

Yes, there are times when people seem to gleefully find offence in comments which didn't intend any. Watching a "social justice warrior" hectoring someone for this is nauseating. Not helped by the fluid nature of language - how is my 86yr old mum supposed to remember that "coloured" is bad, but "people of colour" is right-on? Or that "queer" used to be neutral, then became very bad, and is now sometimes very good and sometimes very bad?

But this is a fringe element of the debate. Because in most cases the person who feels offended is not "choosing" that as an exercise in moral superiority. In most cases they authentically feel offence, at an emotional level which runs deeper and faster than deliberative contemplation. And if we are decent people, we will not wish to do that to another person.

It is possible to cause offence without intending to, just as it is possible to punch someone in the face without intending to (I did it myself once, pulling my coat on whilst moving towards the exit of a train). If we unintentionally cause harm, then the proper response is to explain and apologise.
"Judicial tergiversation is not to be encouraged"
Slartibartfast

Next

Return to Media