Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

What can or can't be said?

The law relating to media, internet, telecomms etc

What can or can't be said?

Postby Russell » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:36 pm

There is a current topic relating to Twitter and a famous couple.

I need to read up some more on it before expressing any opinion but seeing as someone is now dead I thought it an important issue to debate.

Any thoughts? Where is the line between what can or cannot be said on Twitter?

I've never used twitter but I presume its normally anonymous. Where as facebook isn't (unless your a drag queen).
If you can't talk about the problem, how are you ever going to even start talking about the solution?
Russell

Re: What can or can't be said?

Postby 3.14 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:41 pm

What is TROLLING? It seems to me that is MIGHT be a course of action amounting to harassment under the PHA97 if the target is aware of it.
Hide in the noise. #hackerwisdom

Postby shootist » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:51 pm

AFAIK, once someone has died they're fair game. Knock yourself out.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby b1969 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:54 pm

Russell wrote:Where is the line between what can or cannot be said on Twitter?

A good starting point is the First Report of the Communications Committee on Social Media and Criminal Offences. Bear in mind that potential civil wrongs (as opposed to criminal), such as actionable defamation, can also be committed by posting communications on social media.

Russell wrote:I've never used twitter but I presume its normally anonymous.

You can be anonymous on Twitter. You don't have to be. The vast majority of accounts I follow and whose opinions I have respect for are not anonymous.
b1969

Postby Slartibartfast » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:35 pm

Russell wrote:I've never used twitter but I presume its normally anonymous.

That same mistaken presumption explains Brenda Leyland's actions, I suspect.

Very sad, and she leaves a family who must be in deep and confused shock. But I think it is right that she was traced and challenged, because I do not think it is acceptable to make scandalously vicious public statements of the kind which she notoriously used twitter for.

Some people seem to think that if behaviour takes place via social media, it somehow is exempt from the rule of law. Threats, abuse, racial harassment, stalking, fraud and sexual offences proliferate on FaceBook and Twitter etc, as if they are another dimension where the Police and Courts have no jurisdiction (and victims have no protection or rights).
"Judicial tergiversation is not to be encouraged"
Slartibartfast

Postby Russell » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:30 pm

I've found this random link that has nothing to do with anything we are talking about:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/patricksmith/re ... ns#1o7jsxe

I see a misguided out-flowing of emotions, not a criminal act. Emotions run very high when children are involved and many do think that some people have got away with murder. And as the article states a lot of people have said far worse.
If you can't talk about the problem, how are you ever going to even start talking about the solution?
Russell

Postby Russell » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:01 pm

In fact this whole topic is a good example of our current state of freedom of speech. We are not allowed to talk openly on this topic, this is something I strongly disagree with.
Russell

Postby atticus » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:05 pm

Don't say anything online you would not say to another person's face in the presence of your mother, spouse, boss and a policeman, judge and DailyMail reporter.
atticus

Postby Slartibartfast » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:22 pm

Russell wrote:I've found this random link that has nothing to do with anything we are talking about:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/patricksmith/re ... ns#1o7jsxe

Mmm - a rather sympathetic selection, oddly excluding gems like : "To Kate and Gerry, you will be hated by millions for the rest of your miserable, evil, conniving lives, have a nice day" http://greptweet.com/u/sweepyface/sweepyface.txt

I think it is true that Brenda Leyland was not the most abusive and vicious stalker of the McCanns. But then I suppose Jihadi John isn't the most extreme member of ISIS.
Slartibartfast

Postby Slartibartfast » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:30 pm

Russell wrote:We are not allowed to talk openly on this topic, this is something I strongly disagree with.

Why do you say you are being stopped from speaking openly, Al? Do you mean dls's brutal regime of messageboard courtesy, or the legal provisions for criminal or civil action against you? Spit it out, no-one can stop you from naming the oppressor...
Slartibartfast

Next

Return to Media