Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

What can or can't be said?

The law relating to media, internet, telecomms etc

Re: What can or can't be said?

Postby Russell » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:34 pm

atticus wrote:Don't say anything online you would not say to another person's face in the presence of your mother, spouse, boss and a policeman, judge and DailyMail reporter.

Its good safe advise that's for sure and would have saved someones life if adhered too. But isn't one of the many great things about the internet the freedom it gives us? And if we don't like it we can (often) ignore it.

Also, the Meer Can's (a new beer for Meercats) courted media attention and still do to this day. You put yourself in the public eye on an issue that was highly emotional from the word go, you will 'always' get a backlash.

Slart this topic has been officially censored in the past.
If you can't talk about the problem, how are you ever going to even start talking about the solution?
Russell

Postby atticus » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:37 pm

What does the second paragraph of that lot mean, Al?
atticus

Postby Slartibartfast » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:25 pm

Russell wrote:Slart this topic has been officially censored in the past.

No, it hasn't.
"Judicial tergiversation is not to be encouraged"
Slartibartfast

Postby atticus » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:17 am

Saying nasty stuff to your mates in the pub is one thing. It probably won't spread far. But saying nasty stuff on line is different. It spreads easily. And saying nasty stuff directly to the person about whom you are saying it is hurtful. People have rightly been imprisoned for it.
atticus

Postby shootist » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:47 am

But then you have to define 'nasty' and for some people the truth is very nasty, and probably quite hurtful, indeed.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby atticus » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:15 am

Threats, menaces etc are (a) nasty and (b) difficult to characterise as "truth".
atticus

Postby Russell » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:05 am

Another issue here is Police time. It seems that burglary which must be a devastating crime is going uninvestigated, whilst increasing amount of police time are being used for twitter offences etc.
If you can't talk about the problem, how are you ever going to even start talking about the solution?
Russell

Postby atticus » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:45 am

Now you have a directly elected Police and Crime Commissioner with whom you may raise such concerns.
atticus

Postby Russell » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:54 am

Oh and an issue that I feel needs urgently addressing which is highly dangerous yet I'm not seen it discussed is the vigilante postings on fb etc. Just today I've seen pictures of two people with warning they are pedophiles. Now that's clearly very dangerous and should be addressed as someone will be killed if it continues.
Russell

Postby atticus » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:56 am

You must report them to the police NOW!
atticus

PreviousNext

Return to Media