Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

What can or can't be said?

The law relating to media, internet, telecomms etc

Re: What can or can't be said?

Postby atticus » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:09 pm

Distracting attention from your inability to answer a simple question, eh, Alex?

This is not FTQ, BTW.
atticus

Postby Russell » Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:36 pm

Thank you for taking the time to report something that you feel may violate our Community Standards. Reports like yours are an important part of making Facebook a safe and welcoming environment. We reviewed the share you reported for containing graphic violence and found it doesn't violate our Community Standards.

That's not the filter I selected, it was may cause harm to someone else or something like that.
If you can't talk about the problem, how are you ever going to even start talking about the solution?
Russell

Postby atticus » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:40 pm

Police it is, then.
atticus

Postby Russell » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:11 pm

I can't. You are free to post whatever negative inferences you like based on my inaction. I can forward you the information if you would like to undertake contacting the police.

About a year ago my hamster died due a faulty cage. I twice posted a warning about the dangers of these cages on the review option for this major pet supplier. Both were removed. I'd love to take this up and pursue it, unforunatley I don't have the energy and this is another to add to that list of things I'd like to do but can't.
If you can't talk about the problem, how are you ever going to even start talking about the solution?
Russell

Postby atticus » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:16 pm

That says it all.
atticus

Postby Slartibartfast » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:18 pm

Russell wrote:Maybe you should do less worrying about FB rules and study the extensive Swarb regulations before calling someone an idiot, especially as you're a moderator.

The 'idiot' part should not have been said, but nonetheless Atticus makes a good point. If you feel there is an urgent and serious risk to life, then relying upon an overseas social media provider to deal with that risk is surely lazy, naive or stupid? Especially when there are countless examples of how slow and unreliable social media providers can be when responding to such matters.

You should have called it in to the Police. You know you should, and hopefully now you've done it. If so, well done. You might have saved a life.

Footnote - after seeing your post above, it appears that you have not called it in to the Police, because you "don't have the energy". I think all members would join me in expressing concern and sympathy for your fatigue. It must be awful for you.
"Judicial tergiversation is not to be encouraged"
Slartibartfast

Postby atticus » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:22 pm

I accept that I should not have used that word when responding to those idiotic posts.

My sympathies to Alex on the loss of his hamster.
atticus

Postby Russell » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:19 pm

If people are so concerned I can send a screenshot in PM's and they can then give live updates on this thread on the police investigation. Which will likely not happen. If you read back the point I raised was about Police inaction on these issues, but actions on other twitter comments.

I reported it to FB they are doing nothing. This could be because the person in question is wanted. If this is the case then my views are differant anyway,

And thank you for the acknowledgement of the Hamster, Anne was lovely and didn't deserve what happened to her :(
Russell

Previous

Return to Media