Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Revolting ISPs

The law relating to media, internet, telecomms etc

Revolting ISPs

Postby dls » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:40 am

I know that some are disinterested, some are resigned, and many are indifferent, but I bitterly resent the dishonesty of the approaches taken by our intelligence services to intruding into our private conversations.

Mr Snowden has revealed much behaviour of which our services should be deeply ashamed. Largely it is the same old story. Our ISs have legal limits on what they can do to intrude upon your privacy. So they simply outsource it to the US. They can deny any intrusion, or breach of the law, and simply rely on the US to pass back anything on interest. No doubt a similar service is provided in reverse (if not at the same scale).

In any event, ISPs in Europe are now complaining of GCHQ activity. Sadly they have gone (have had to go) to the investigatory powers tribunal. Sadly, because of course the Tribunal may as well be an extension of the security services. It licks their behinds with an avidity which is difficult to watch.

It is a successor tribunal. My understanding is that in all its time(s) it has yet to find that our security services have done anything at all wrong.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Re: Revolting ISPs

Postby shootist » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:13 am

dls wrote:In any event, ISPs in Europe are now complaining of GCHQ activity. Sadly they have gone (have had to go) to the investigatory powers tribunal. Sadly, because of course the Tribunal may as well be an extension of the security services. It licks their behinds with an avidity which is difficult to watch.

It is a successor tribunal. My understanding is that in all its time(s) it has yet to find that our security services have done anything at all wrong.

This tribunal, it's not by any chance modelled on the IPCC?
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby Hairyloon » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:13 am

dls wrote:I know that some are disinterested, some are resigned, and many are indifferent, but I bitterly resent the dishonesty of the approaches taken by our intelligence services to intruding into our private conversations.

I think that I am all of the above.

Any ideas what we can do about it?
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby shootist » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:36 pm

Careful. They'll hear you. :ugeek:
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby Hairyloon » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:14 pm

shootist wrote:Careful. They'll hear you. :ugeek:

If they have not already got a big fat file on me, then either they are not very good, or I am not trying hard enough. ;)
Hairyloon

Postby shootist » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:23 pm

Bombs, aircraft, suicide, prime minister, sniper, jihad, abortion clinic, Syria, Afghanistan, Ukraine, stab, revolution, parliament, nuclear, germs, poison. America, Satan, Plaid Cymru, Tooting Popular Front.

That should cover it. :twisted:
shootist

Postby dls » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:35 pm

This tribunal, it's not by any chance modelled on the IPCC?

No. The IPCC did at least every now and then out of shame and for statistical credence and for plausibility find for a claimant.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby atticus » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:36 pm

I can hear the sirens in East Clintwood already!
atticus

Postby atticus » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:37 pm

Hairyloon wrote:
shootist wrote:Careful. They'll hear you. :ugeek:

If they have not already got a big fat file on me, then either they are not very good, or I am not trying hard enough. ;)
or they have worked out that you are mostly harmless.
atticus

Postby Hairyloon » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:43 pm

shootist wrote:Bombs, aircraft, suicide, prime minister, sniper, jihad, abortion clinic, Syria, Afghanistan, Ukraine, stab, revolution, parliament, nuclear, germs, poison. America, Satan, Plaid Cymru, Tooting Popular Front.

That should cover it. :twisted:

No drugs? Or missiles?
Hairyloon

Next

Return to Media