Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Threads being pulled

Stuff about using this board

Threads being pulled

Postby Spankymonkey » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:07 am

I've noticed this happening a few times lately, most recently with a thread I contributed to a number of times. Far be it for me to question the moderators reasons for doing so, and without any explanation, it seems a slap in the face to those who contribute. It also gives the impression that if a discussion doesn't quite go the way a moderator wants it, he is free to elect it to be pulled in totality.

Just out of respect for those who contribute here on a regular basis, is it too much to ask that a reason is given behind the pulling of threads. At least so we know what to modify to prevent it from happening in the future.
Spankymonkey

Re: Threads being pulled

Postby diy » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:57 am

A PM to the thread creator would be polite.
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Postby Boo » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:25 am

Spankymonkey wrote: it seems a slap in the face to those who contribute.

I agree.

The thread was removed by me after it was locked. It was becoming personal and that's off putting for members (new and old) who'd like to post but don't.

That aside, I think the subject matter was relevant and I have suggested a sticky be put up so people can make informed decisions about their rights when at a Police Station.

People should feel free to post - just watch the personal stuff.
God - "I have made Mankind!"
Angels - "You screwed up a perfectly good monkey is what you did. Look at it. It's got anxiety!"
Boo

Postby Boo » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:28 am

diy wrote:A PM to the thread creator would be polite.

The OP was aware the thread was locked and removed.

A pm to Admin is also an option should posters not agree with decisions.
Angels - "You screwed up a perfectly good monkey is what you did. Look at it. It's got anxiety!"
Boo

Postby miner » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:57 pm

I think that it's perhaps a bit unfortunate that there is a predominance of moderators here who hold rather left-wing views and are sometimes prone to let their own left-wing views influence their moderating.

Posts have been deleted and threads have been locked when where there has been no real reason or justification for doing so other than that the content conflicted with the views of the moderator. It's not a big issue, but sometimes moderators do seem to rather abuse their status, without even saying a few words as to why they have taken their action.

Having said that, none of us can reasonably expect moderation to be perfect for everyone.
miner

Postby Boo » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:30 pm

miner wrote:I think that it's perhaps a bit unfortunate that there is a predominance of moderators here who hold rather left-wing views and are sometimes prone to let their own left-wing views influence their moderating.

:o
I think that's a bold assumption.

miner wrote:Posts have been deleted and threads have been locked when where there has been no real reason or justification for doing so other than that the content conflicted with the views of the moderator. It's not a big issue, but sometimes moderators do seem to rather abuse their status, without even saying a few words as to why they have taken their action.

And another.

But you only have to ask why.

Usually what is deleted is for the good of the board in general;
And a reminder of what you agree to when signing up:
"You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate any laws be it of your country, the country where “swarb.co.uk” is hosted or International Law."
We mean it. Keep it nice

When stuff gets personal, we're not "keeping it nice". Yes, I said we. That goes for all of us. But we're only human...I would hope most take robust discussion in good faith.

On the whole swarb law is a well respected forum. Often people are signposted here. Abusive stuff can give it a bad name.

You hadn't posted for a while and a couple of us were concerned - I even checked your local obits. But here you are.
Boo

Postby Boo » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:30 pm

I think this needs to be said:

First, Stoaty didn't lock the thread SM is talking about.
Second, miner, your thread was put in the already existing General Election thread.
I believe it was David who decided to begin a GE thread in the hidden section, so you may need to take take that up with him.
Boo

Postby Spankymonkey » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:10 pm

If you felt that parts of the thread were abusive then the deletion of that abuse would have been more appropriate, not the entire thread. And I would have thought it obvious that in the absence of an explanation, and given that there are so many moderators here who are also regular members, it would be quite easy for us to jump to the wrong conclusion about who deleted that thread and why.

I don't often agree with Stoaty but I will say this for him, he puts up a good fight and by doing so he does teach a person exactitude. I think that's a very commendable thing. It can be frustrating to the opposition, but those who maintain a position are quite able and willing to fend for themselves. If you were offended by it Boo then you should have contributed to the thread in question which I do not think you did once. I could not see anything in that which would offend others, and I don't believe it was your position to take offence for them.

Many of those who contribute to these forums put a lot of time and effort into their submissions, and the deletion of entire threads, particularly lengthy ones, is not something that should be taken lightly. Particularly when there are plenty of other options open to ask those to amend their behaviour. At the very least such threads should be moved to a private members forum where those with a certain contribution limit could only have access. I'm not saying that would necessarily mean myself, but at least all that time and effort wouldn't have been flushed completely down the toilet. There were a good few links, information and arguments I would like to have accessed within that thread over time, that are now gone.
Spankymonkey

Postby Boo » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:09 pm

Spankymonkey wrote:If you felt that parts of the thread were abusive then the deletion of that abuse would have been more appropriate, not the entire thread. And I would have thought it obvious that in the absence of an explanation, and given that there are so many moderators here who are also regular members, it would be quite easy for us to jump to the wrong conclusion about who deleted that thread and why.

We tired deleting abusive posts but someone became hysterical because their posts had been pruned.

You're welcome to create a new thread.

Spankymonkey wrote:I don't often agree with Stoaty but I will say this for him, he puts up a good fight and by doing so he does teach a person exactitude. I think that's a very commendable thing. It can be frustrating to the opposition, but those who maintain a position are quite able and willing to fend for themselves. If you were offended by it Boo then you should have contributed to the thread in question which I do not think you did once. I could not see anything in that which would offend others, and I don't believe it was your position to take offence for them.

It wasn't going anywhere.

But you're welcome to create a new thread.

Spankymonkey wrote:Many of those who contribute to these forums put a lot of time and effort into their submissions, and the deletion of entire threads, particularly lengthy ones, is not something that should be taken lightly. Particularly when there are plenty of other options open to ask those to amend their behaviour. At the very least such threads should be moved to a private members forum where those with a certain contribution limit could only have access. I'm not saying that would necessarily mean myself, but at least all that time and effort wouldn't have been flushed completely down the toilet. There were a good few links, information and arguments I would like to have accessed within that thread over time, that are now gone.

Too much is hidden as it is, imo.

in the 11 years I've been a member on this board Swarb's crashed two or three times - You can see a few of us registered on the same day, on its last reincarnation- unfortunately, we lose stuff. Sometimes forever.

Here's a tip for ya; keep a record of links that may be of value to you as you never know when the next crash will happen.

Links: Something about an ashtray from a Sheffield resource. A Bedford Police resource. Gov.uk links about being arrested and your rights. A PDF I didn't want to open as "some files may harm my computer"...

But, by all means, start another thread. Who knows, with time out it may be less fractious. Well, we can hope.
Boo

Postby miner » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:13 pm

Boo wrote:
You hadn't posted for a while and a couple of us were concerned - I even checked your local obits. But here you are.

Ah'm nae deid yet, Boo!

In the UK in fact - in the Doric country!

Watching the Ariana Grande concert just now. Not my sort of music, but as a mark of respect for those who have perished and been injured and affected by the recent tragic events here in the UK.

Take care everyone.
miner

Next

Return to Board Management