Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Threads being pulled

Stuff about using this board

Re: Threads being pulled

Postby dls » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:54 am

We are here to discuss law. For many years I ran it without help. Moderators were chosen for three main characteristics: commitment to the forum, legal knowledge and general amicability and character. Political leanings had no part to play.

It is right that we have lately discussed politics rather more than we did, but it should still be secondary (very).
It is also right that my moderation activities will always be light bordering on non-existent, but I acknowledge also that this did appear to put many people off. I am happy now to moderate alongside a group of people each of whom has my full respect and gratitude. Yes, other members might do as well, but I feel no need or desire for additional moderation.

We still have long standing rightist and other members who, in quieter moments, would possibly accept that they have found a home here where they might not have elsewhere.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby 3.14 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:58 am

I've no idea what my political leanings are, I am a rational anarchist and libertarian for what it's worth. I don't often vote if at all.
Hide in the noise. #hackerwisdom

Postby Russell » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:04 am

Hairy is a good moderator.

3.14 I've never seen you as a libertarian. Do you follow the brilliant Julie Borowski? https://www.facebook.com/JulieBorowski/
If you can't talk about the problem, how are you ever going to even start talking about the solution?
Russell

Postby atticus » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:11 am

Who is "the ethnic of the forum", Alex?

Your comments are of your usual standard and will be accorded respect accordingly.
atticus

Postby Russell » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:14 pm

Do as DLS does, make the calls he'd call. Unless you do this, then you have nothing but inconsistencies and personal agendas, which is exactly what happens here.
If you can't talk about the problem, how are you ever going to even start talking about the solution?
Russell

Postby atticus » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:24 pm

Alex: really?

We all moderate with a light touch. Other forums ban at the drop of a hat. We do not, and we do not delete offending posts as often as we should. As dls has said, you have found a home here.

When in the past you have ceased to be a member it has been through your own choosing. The mods could cancel your membership, but have not.
atticus

Postby Russell » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:21 pm

I've said the above for years and this thread is further proof that others feel the same. But on banning yes the forum doesn't do that. Not sure if anyone has ever been banned.
Russell

Postby Hairyloon » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:07 pm

Russell wrote:Not sure if anyone has ever been banned.

Hundreds upon hundreds of spammers are the only bans that I know of.
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby atticus » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:32 pm

Go on Alex, just give one tiny little frinstance of moderation driven by a political agenda.

And the fact that you have been saying stuff for years does not make any of it right.
atticus

Previous

Return to Board Management