Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Reduction in Damages for Whiplash

Reduction in Damages for Whiplash

Postby dls » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:30 am

There is announced today a way of (allegedly) bringing down car insurance premiums by making life more difficult for PI claimants

Well, I do think that a distrust for insurers is natural and proper. I tend toward the miner type of scepticism, but transferred to insurers from lawyers. This may be strange because I come from a family of insurers (actuaries / Prudential), but my experience of them in practice as a lawyer did not suggest that a great respect was due.

Equally it is quite right to say that there have been substantial numbers of fraudulent and or exaggerated claims over several years.

Somewhere a balance has to be found. I am far mor elikely to be paying car insurance premiums than to be claiming for personal injury, but I cannot see any possibility that the insurance companies will not pocket as much as they can of any savings.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Re: Reduction in Damages for Whiplash

Postby Hairyloon » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:52 am

On the subject of bringing down insurance premiums, considering the increasing popularity of dash-cams, why is there not more encouragement for people to send in footage of dangerous drivers so that those drivers can have their insurance appropriately adjusted?
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby dls » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:42 pm

It is worth noting that, as usual the figures upin which the proposition is based are, to say the least flawed.

They suggest a huge increase in claims over the last ten years, but then forget to mention a very substantial reduction in claims ove rthe last three years. Savings from these claims have not been passed back by insurers.
dls
Site Admin

Postby atticus » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:48 pm

... Notwithstanding their promises to do so.
atticus

Postby dls » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:37 am

It has now been said that INsurance companies may save as much as £200m a year from te proposed reforms.
dls
Site Admin

Postby dls » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:15 am

It appears that the figures upon which the proposals are based are now admitted to be out of date.
dls
Site Admin

Return to Personal Injury