Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Drone Crash - Negligence

Drone Crash - Negligence

Postby diy » Mon May 18, 2015 2:55 pm

I notice there is a new breed of camera drones coming on to the market that you don't actually need to fly any more. There purpose is to follow you filming you as you cycle/ski/ etc filming you from the air. The technology differs slightly between models and brands, but basically you carry a tracker on your wrist and the drone follows you or flies in front or to the side filming you.

Assuming the drone crashed in to someone, surely its obviously negligent to create a device that flies automatically without a pilot, but who would be responsible for the injuries? The operator who rode/drove etc in to an area that was unsafe for the drone or the manufacturer for making something that follows you blindly.

They seem pretty cool though.
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Re: Drone Crash - Negligence

Postby atticus » Mon May 18, 2015 3:02 pm

More than one party can be negligent in a particular set of circumstances.

In the kind of situation you describe, I would look at the operator first of all.
atticus

Postby atticus » Mon May 18, 2015 4:14 pm

Actually, I disagree with the statement that "surely it's obviously negligent to create a device that flies automatically without a pilot". If I run around an empty field followed by one of these things, there is no obvious risk of harm to others. It must be a question of how and where the thing is operated, and therefore down to the operator.

I bet the operating manuals contain a few warnings, e.g. "may be operated by nuts".
atticus

Postby Hairyloon » Mon May 18, 2015 8:22 pm

The instructions will say something along the lines of "do not operate near people".
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby Slartibartfast » Mon May 18, 2015 8:57 pm

diy wrote:I notice there is a new breed of camera drones coming on to the market that you don't actually need to fly any more. There purpose is to follow you filming you ....

robo-paparazi !
"Judicial tergiversation is not to be encouraged"
Slartibartfast

Postby dls » Tue May 19, 2015 1:05 pm

The operator who rode/drove etc in to an area that was unsafe for the drone or the manufacturer for making something that follows you blindly.

The operator, who knowing how it works, went any where near an area where it might cause trouble.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby diy » Thu May 21, 2015 8:17 am

Stepping away from PI law for a moment:

the governing law appears to be in the Air Navigation Order 2009 sec 166 & 167
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2009 ... tents/made

would make a remote controlled drone programmed to fly close to the operator and take off and land from the hand, to a be a problem.
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Postby atticus » Thu May 21, 2015 8:40 am

try this link: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2009 ... rt/22/made

Article 167 contains restrictions. if complied with, there is no problem under this legislation.
atticus

Return to Personal Injury