Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Multiple Injuries

Multiple Injuries

Postby Voldemort » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:39 pm

Hello all,

I have a query relating to how damages are calculated for multiple injuries caused by one accident. I do not have the specifics other than their claim relates to the knee, back and shoulder following an accident; hence this is more of a general question.

I am aware of the Judicial Studies Board Guidelines - however it doesn’t seem to address the calculation methodology if an individual has sustained multiple injuries.

I have read contradicting commentary – some seem to infer that multiple injuries are awarded more than the sum of the individual amounts because of the disability “magnifying effect” of sustaining injuries to different parts of the body. Other sources conclude that the overall award is less the sum of the parts because of an “overlapping effect”.

I’m assuming this relates to where those injuries might be and/or if they have the same physical effect on the individual?
Voldemort

Re: Multiple Injuries

Postby dls » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:55 pm

It is a medical expert question first and last, not really one of law, Diferent sets of injuries will combine differently. There is no general rule of law that I know of.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby Voldemort » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:16 am

Thank you dls.
Voldemort

Postby atticus » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:29 pm

I'm not a personal injury lawyer.

However, I can see how some aspects of damage can be magnified. An obvious example might be that the loss of two hands exceeds twice the loss of one in effect on the injured person's daily life.

I can also see the "overlapping" point. If each injury separately prevents you working, you should only be compensated for that once.

I suspect that the effects differ according to the head of loss for which damages are claimed.
atticus

Postby dls » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:11 pm

isn't it the case that any injury of any seriousness will have multiple aspects. What matters is the combined total.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Return to Personal Injury