Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

What can an employer do to prevent a hold up?

What can an employer do to prevent a hold up?

Postby Integer » Wed May 28, 2014 9:38 pm

http://www.fentons.co.uk/newsroom/lates ... rmed-raid/

A restaurant worker is traumatised after a hold up and is taking civil action against employer. Is this a personal injury claim or an employment law case? What measures can a fast food restaurant take to prevent a hold up?
Integer

Re: What can an employer do to prevent a hold up?

Postby atticus » Wed May 28, 2014 9:44 pm

The article contains the answer to the first question.

No doubt the security experts who frequent this forum can answer the second. Clearly there are steps that should have been put in place, and you will have observed the references in the article to security guards at certain times.
atticus

Postby Integer » Wed May 28, 2014 9:55 pm

I would not doubt the employees trauma for a minute. It must have been horrible for her. I'm just curious at how foreseeability of an armed robbery against a fast food restaurant could be proven.
Integer

Postby Westpac » Wed May 28, 2014 10:02 pm

Integer wrote:I would not doubt the employees trauma for a minute. It must have been horrible for her. I'm just curious at how foreseeability of an armed robbery against a fast food restaurant could be proven.

I don't imagine proving foreseeablity of an armed robbery taking place in Liverpool is too difficult. :D
Westpac

Postby atticus » Thu May 29, 2014 5:51 am

I suspect that when, as described in that article, there have already been two armed robberies, that there will be a third is highly foreseeable.

May I ask whether you read the article?
atticus

Postby dls » Thu May 29, 2014 6:09 am

And what was complained of were very low levels of security. It is very possible that a minimal level of improvement would be enough.

It is all a question of the particular case.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby shootist » Thu May 29, 2014 8:26 am

When someone points a gun at you, you do what they tell you whether they are wearing a badge or a mask. What security could the restaurant put in place? As much as banks have target hardened their premises, there are still bank robberies. The only practical solution would be to have armoured glass separating the staff from the customers, with airlock type serving hatches. Hardly the sort of welcoming environment for the customers in which to relax and eat. 'Drop box' cash safes of the type often used in petrol stations, prominently displayed as such in the public view would be about the only viable deterrent, as it would make the place not worth robbing (no keys on the premises.)

And just what good are security guards going to do in such circumstances? They're not bullet proof. Technically they may be able to carry batons and the like, but only a fool takes a stick to a gun fight. Jeff Cooper's first rule of gunfighting "Have a gun."

“I’m glad they have accepted liability however I’ve decided to move away from Liverpool now as I just don’t feel safe anymore. It’s such a wonderful place full of amazing people but I feel I need a fresh start.”

Perhaps she should also sue the city council, the police, and if the robber is ever found, the social services department that so terribly failed him. There is, I think, a clue to the whole set up.

Still, at least if the robber is caught, his firearms licence is certain to be revoked. :roll:
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Return to Personal Injury