Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Apple's Irish friends

Income, Corporation, Capital Gains, Inheritance Taxes, VAT and so on.

Re: Apple's Irish friends

Postby diy » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:45 am

From reading up on it, it does seem that the definition of illegal State aid - is where a private company is effectively given an unfair advantage over other companies in the same sector residing in different countries. Yet the internet is littered with examples notably in Belgium and France (ports and energy firms) where state aid was allowed even though it gave such an unfair advantage. Here, if Ireland can show the same terms would have been offered for others, then its not a case of one company being given an unfair advantage.

One thing is clear - its not easy to say what constitutes illegal state aid. Particularly where there are claims of industrial/economic development benefits.
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Postby atticus » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:01 pm

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... -guide.pdf

This guide by the Department for Business Innovation and Skills, mainly for government use, gives a useful overview of what state aid is and why there are EU rules against it.
atticus

Postby diy » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:58 am

So it needed EU approval, end of discussion, slam dunk to the EU?
diy

Postby atticus » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:53 pm

I suppose that a reading of the recent EU judgment or Opinion will give you the answer to that question.

Sorry, I don't think anyone here is aufficiently expert on Competition law.
atticus

Postby Hairyloon » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:56 pm

Although this is not about Apple or Ireland, I thought this the bes place to put this as it is on a related point...

The European commission is examining the details of Britain’s secret deal with Nissan, it can be revealed.

Officials in Brussels have made contact with the UK government to find out what promises the business secretary, Greg Clark, made to the Japanese carmaker to keep its business in the UK.

The UK is not allowed to offer state aid, such as financial assistance, under EU rules that prevent countries from propping up companies and industries to the disadvantage of competitors from fellow member states. The commission can fine member states and force the company that has benefited to return any money.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... are_btn_fb

It seems to me that any deal that has been made is likely to only come into play when the UK leaves the EU, in which case the terms are not the EU's business and poking their nose in appears to be indicative of the kind of dominance that have caused many to vote to leave...

OTOH, while we are in the EU we are bound by EU rules and who is to say that the deal is not already a deal breaching the rules if nobody checks on it...

Either way, I think people would like to know what sort of deal it is, and how much it is going to cost us...
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby diy » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:04 am

Why do you assume it will cost anything? Perhaps it was a commitment to assist "British" car exporters with revenue raised on EU car import duties?

There is a long list of companies and states found to give illegal state aid in the EU which have been stuck in the courts for many years. I do sometimes wonder about the difference between illegal state aid and an EU grant, which serves the same purpose.
diy

Postby Hairyloon » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:28 am

diy wrote:Why do you assume it will cost anything?

Because I am a cynical old git.

I do sometimes wonder about the difference between illegal state aid and an EU grant, which serves the same purpose.

Transparency and accountability?
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby dls » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:39 pm

The European commission is examining the details of Britain’s secret deal with Nissan, it can be revealed.

Much like the FBI 'we might investigate . . oops'
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby miner » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:35 pm

European Commission 'exceeded its powers' over Ireland Apple tax ruling

Not that I have any greater love for Apple than for Microsoft, but it's good to see the Irish taking this reported action against Druncker and the other idiots in the European Commission.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/201 ... ax-ruling/

The truth is that the arrogant, incompetent, self-serving European Commission exceeds its powers as a matter of routine. They've got away with it for years.

The sooner the UK unshackles itself from the EU club of iniquity, the better.
miner

Postby diy » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:24 pm

The billions hidden from the US tax authorities will quickly find its way back to the US now that Trump has declared a possible tax amnesty. Almost every technology boss has been in to see the big man since his win to sort out returning profits . Brexit and trump will probably damage the irish economy significantly.
diy

PreviousNext

Return to Tax