Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Tax and Morality

Income, Corporation, Capital Gains, Inheritance Taxes, VAT and so on.

Re: Tax and Morality

Postby atticus » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:37 pm

I disagree; I have set out my views at length. Civil servants are taxed in the same way as those in the private sector, even if the money may be said to go round in circles.
atticus

Postby jantra » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:47 pm

atticus wrote:I disagree; I have set out my views at length. Civil servants are taxed in the same way as those in the private sector, even if the money may be said to go round in circles.
]

HMT do not budget for the gross salary - they only budget for the net pay required. It's even worse than that - they actually only budget for net pay less pension contributions - but that is a different story
jantra

Postby atticus » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:20 pm

How the Treasury budgets for receipts and expenditure is a different matter.
atticus

Postby jantra » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:43 pm

atticus wrote:How the Treasury budgets for receipts and expenditure is a different matter.

why? they are an employer like everyone else and are subject to the same rules like every other employer. If the employer is say the local authority then surely HMT would need to pay the local authority the gross amount so that the employer can make the necessary tax deductions from the employee's pay - assuming the tax is a charge that the employee is liable for.

my view is that all taxes are social charges levied on economic activity. it is suffered by individuals but the individual liable for the charge is not always immediately obvious. The name of the tax determines which economic activity will be subject to the charge.
jantra

Previous

Return to Tax