Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Local Election leaflet....

To propose and debate astonishing propositions of law. Please stay polite and rational.

Re: Local Election leaflet....

Postby miner » Fri May 05, 2017 2:13 pm

Russell wrote:Okay the results are in after a re-count. The conservative won.

My apologies, Russell. I have just discovered that what came up when I looked was the 2013 result, not yesterday's!

Does the area include Biddulph Moor? We have close friends there.
miner

Postby Russell » Fri May 05, 2017 2:40 pm

No problem. Yes I think it does include the Moors, its just round the corner. That's a coincidence :)

I'm going to report the leaflet because its stating a fact that is totally wrong and has been proven as such. I'd like to think the rules would not allow any party to do this. The election was a 3 horse race, every vote counted.
If you can't talk about the problem, how are you ever going to even start talking about the solution?
Russell

Postby atticus » Fri May 05, 2017 2:44 pm

Please let us know how you get on.
atticus

Postby miner » Fri May 05, 2017 2:44 pm

Russell wrote: The election was a 3 horse race, every vote counted.

Yes, I noticed that when I accessed the (correct!) voting figures. The votes for all 3 were within a very small % margin. No wonder a recount was done.
miner

Postby Russell » Fri May 05, 2017 2:46 pm

Yes will update. Could be interesting :)
If you can't talk about the problem, how are you ever going to even start talking about the solution?
Russell

Postby Russell » Fri May 05, 2017 9:08 pm

Okay I joined a Conservative facebook group and the general view is that this wouldn't be a violation :o Lib dems are apparently known for this type of thing.
Russell

Postby atticus » Sat May 06, 2017 5:20 pm

All parties sail close to the wind. It has been suggested that the tories may have been less than entirely scrupulous about some matters of election expenditure.
atticus

Postby miner » Sat May 06, 2017 7:09 pm

atticus wrote:All parties sail close to the wind. It has been suggested that the tories may have been less than entirely scrupulous about some matters of election expenditure.

In the case of the Labour Party, they have actually been fined by the Electoral Commission:

Labour has been fined £20,000 by the Electoral Commission, the largest imposed by the body in its history, for undeclared election spending during the 2015 campaign

They are all as bad as each other. In reality, there is no adequate or effective legal control over electoral contributions and electoral spending.

We have impressive-looking and impressively-written bylaws on the subject here, but they simply are not enforced - a fact that has been admitted to me by our Municipal Authority. The UK seems to be no different.
Last edited by miner on Sat May 06, 2017 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
miner

Postby atticus » Sat May 06, 2017 7:16 pm

It is funny how wrong you can be when you make your little personal digs.
atticus

Postby miner » Sat May 06, 2017 7:40 pm

atticus wrote:It is funny how wrong you can be when you make your little personal digs.

Amended accordingly. It was just the impression you had given at times.

If you stopped making your routine personal digs at me, I'd be happy to reciprocate. How about a truce?
miner

PreviousNext

Return to Just Mooting