Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Local Election leaflet....

To propose and debate astonishing propositions of law. Please stay polite and rational.

Local Election leaflet....

Postby Russell » Fri May 05, 2017 1:11 am

We had our location election today. I know nothing about local politics so it would be great to have someone's opinion on this who is more enlightened. I got a Lib Dem leaflet today which states " The conservative candidate lives near Uttoxeter and can't win in Biddulph South & Endon. A vote for him will only help Labour sneak in". What does this mean? This sounds like the conservative candidate isn't eligible in this election because he lives in Uttoxeter. What are people's views?
If you can't talk about the problem, how are you ever going to even start talking about the solution?
Russell

Re: Local Election leaflet....

Postby miner » Fri May 05, 2017 2:17 am

It sounds just like the sort of thing a LibDem might say.

With the apology for "leadership" which it has in its uppermost echelons, who'd realistically expect anything better than that lower down the pecking order?

PS (Edit): Labour has won in the constituency anyway. The IbDem came second and the Conservative third, according to what I've just seen.
miner

Postby atticus » Fri May 05, 2017 5:15 am

You are being told the tory candidate is not local, and that if you don't want to vote Labour you should vote for the LibDem because that is a seat where the tories have no chance. It is an invitation to vote tactically.
atticus

Postby Russell » Fri May 05, 2017 9:17 am

Thanks guys. Here is a copy of leaflet for a bit of context, you can see its very clear and was the only take away I got on see the leaflet on the doorstep. And yes it is an invite to tactically vote, but I think some people could easily read it literally. Further, the last election these were the last election results. Lab 29% Libs 25% Con 25% UKIP 18%. From these results calling it a no win seat seems very misleading as the Cons are meant to pickup UKIP seats.

https://moorlandslibdems.org.uk/en/docu ... flet-3.pdf
If you can't talk about the problem, how are you ever going to even start talking about the solution?
Russell

Postby atticus » Fri May 05, 2017 9:41 am

The tories are certainly gunning for the kipper vote big time.
atticus

Postby Russell » Fri May 05, 2017 9:46 am

Isn't the UKIP job done? I previously voted UKIP and didn't this time, it wasn't even an option.
Russell

Postby Russell » Fri May 05, 2017 9:48 am

The important issues so far. Seems to be the anti EU Lib dems, who are making losses despite their EU stance. And Labour taking an even bigger pounding than last time. I think the take away is May calling the election was a master stroke.
Russell

Postby Russell » Fri May 05, 2017 10:29 am

And Scotland shifting to Tories. This I think is the important one for its indication on the Scottish referendum.
Russell

Postby miner » Fri May 05, 2017 1:18 pm

Russell wrote:And Scotland shifting to Tories. This I think is the important one for its indication on the Scottish referendum.

What Scottish referendum?
miner

Postby Russell » Fri May 05, 2017 2:01 pm

Okay the results are in after a re-count. The conservative won. That leaflet is highly misleading. Surely, it must have violated the election rules?

Miner the Scotland independence ref, relating to opinion, rather than an actual vote.
Russell

Next

Return to Just Mooting