Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Prison labour

To propose and debate astonishing propositions of law. Please stay polite and rational.

Re: Prison labour

Postby diy » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:25 am

They might want to update that thinking- the jobs they'd be taking would probably be in china
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:12 am

Then the work falls into the "does not exist anymore" category.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby Voldemort » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:17 am

Smouldering Stoat wrote:unskilled work that prisoners might do simply doesn't exist any more, and also it's not considered proper for prisoners to do work that would otherwise be done for a proper wage by someone on the outside.

The other reason (maybe the major reason) that prisoners often don't have the opportunity to work is that it's cheaper to lock them up.

I feel that’s simply a perception rather than recognising that many jobs simply don’t get done because “there’s not enough budget”. Using prison labour to target those important but less prioritised jobs would help fill the gaps created by the various “austerity” measures.

It’s worth remembering that in a addition to recouping the cost of imprisonment, these jobs should be considered part of prisoner rehabilitation and help manage overall prisoner behaviour.
Voldemort

Postby Hairyloon » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:23 am

dls wrote:
The problems, however, are that the type of cheap, unskilled work that prisoners might do simply doesn't exist any more, and also it's not considered proper for prisoners to do work that would otherwise be done for a proper wage by someone on the outside.

Precisely.

Refuse recycling.
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby atticus » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:58 pm

That is done by people "outside" who are paid to do the work.

Have you considered the security aspects?
atticus

Postby Boo » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:57 pm

I would imagine prisoners will want the same rights as those working on the outside. Holidays. Sick pay. Maternity pay, to name a few.
And what if they refuse to work?
God - "I have made Mankind!"
Angels - "You screwed up a perfectly good monkey is what you did. Look at it. It's got anxiety!"
Boo

Postby Hairyloon » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:17 pm

atticus wrote:That is done by people "outside" who are paid to do the work.

There is not nearly enough of it done outside of the areas of the world that are so poor that they have no choice. In this country there is masses of scope for a great deal more to be done than there is, the problem is one of cost.

Have you considered the security aspects?

I considered myself as unqualified to judge, but I imagine there are some prisoners who can be trusted enough with some types of garbage.
Hairyloon

Postby atticus » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:36 pm

Have you been to a waste depot? I do not mean your council tip, but the processing sites the waste is taken to, where it is all sorted, and what can be recycled is taken away for recycling?

The operation of those sites is complex and fascinating. Similarly those sites that sort soil, rubble etc. Builders rubble does not just go to landfill. The machinery to sort it is big and expensive.

And as for the kit to strip electric cables and sort the metals ...

Can you tell that I've had a number of clients in the waste management business, and have been taken on tours of a variety of sites?
atticus

Postby Hairyloon » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:13 pm

atticus wrote:Have you been to a waste depot? I do not mean your council tip, but the processing sites the waste is taken to, where it is all sorted, and what can be recycled is taken away for recycling?

I am aware of such places, but my council is very proud of its "waste to energy" facility.

The machinery to sort it is big and expensive.

Isn't it amazing how many jobs can be eliminated by big expensive machinery?
Consider the slums of India where they do similar work by hand: it would be interesting to know how the efficiency rates compare.

Can you tell that I've had a number of clients in the waste management business, and have been taken on tours of a variety of sites?

I'm pleased to hear it, but do you suggest that such facilities are perfect and have universal coverage?
Hairyloon

Postby atticus » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:12 pm

No. I suggest that your opinions are not always informed.
atticus

PreviousNext

Return to Just Mooting