Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Nuclear Deterrence / NSA

To propose and debate astonishing propositions of law. Please stay polite and rational.

Re: Nuclear Deterrence / NSA

Postby 3.14 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:01 pm

You will always get cut in a knife fight.
Hide in the noise. #hackerwisdom

Postby atticus » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:02 pm

Starship Troupers? Is that an interstellar version of "It Ain't Half Hot Mum"?
atticus

Postby 3.14 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:03 pm

The novel is bloody good. The movie is awful.

Postby 3.14 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:05 pm

According to Heinlein, his desire to write Starship Troopers was sparked by the publication of a newspaper advertisement placed by the National Committee for a Sane Nuclear Policy on April 5, 1958 calling for a unilateral suspension of nuclear weapon testing by the United States. In response, Robert and Virginia Heinlein created the small "Patrick Henry League" in an attempt to create support for the U.S. nuclear testing program. Heinlein found himself under attack both from within and outside the science fiction community for his views. Heinlein used the novel to clarify and defend his military and political views at the time.

Postby atticus » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:11 pm

I agree, the movie was crap, even though my brother in law was nominated for an Oscar for his work on it.

I rarely read sci-fi, so the novel is not going to make my reading list.
atticus

Postby 3.14 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:12 pm

Influence on U.S. military wrote:While powered armor is Starship Troopers' most famous legacy, its influence extends deep into contemporary militaries. Over half a century after its publication, Starship Troopers was on the reading lists of the United States Marine Corps[27][28] and the United States Navy.[29] It is the first science fiction novel to have appeared on the reading lists at three of the five United States military branches. When Heinlein wrote Starship Troopers the United States military was a largely conscripted force, with conscripts serving two-year hitches. Today the U.S. military has incorporated many ideas similar to Heinlein's concept of an all-volunteer, high-tech strike force. In addition, references to the book keep appearing in military culture. In 2002, a marine general described the future of Marine Corps clothing and equipment as needing to emulate the Mobile Infantry.[30] In 2012, an article on the US military buying ballistic face masks specifically referenced the "big steel gorilla[s]" of Starship Troopers.[31]

Postby shootist » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:29 pm

atticus wrote:I agree, the movie was crap, even though my brother in law was nominated for an Oscar for his work on it.

I rarely read sci-fi, so the novel is not going to make my reading list.

Like most of Heinlien's novels, it's a story being used to advocate a political, social, and/or philosophical viewpoint. In it Heinlein proposes the unusual concepts that authority should be balanced by responsibility, and that the franchise should only be granted to those who have served what might best be described as a form of national service, not necessarily military, available at any time but it's a one shot process. With one or two reservations, it's a novel after all, the basis of the society he proposes is one I agree with.

I find it difficult to believe that anyone was nominated for an Oscar in connection with that film, unless it was someone trying to burn it.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby atticus » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:16 pm

Academy Awards are given for more than just acting.
atticus

Postby shootist » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:58 pm

I recall seeing an interview with someone, I can't remember who, that was heavily involved in, responsible for in fact, for making the film. He freely admitted that it was his intention to rubbish the book in every way possible for the ideas it put forward. In that respect only he did an incredibly good job.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby diy » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:34 pm

right.. anyway... feck off big bombs.. discuss.
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

PreviousNext

Return to Just Mooting