Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Labour Party Election Rules

To propose and debate astonishing propositions of law. Please stay polite and rational.

Re: Labour Party Election Rules

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:32 pm

It is a clear and straightforward breach of Labour Party rules, which exist at least in part to ensure that the Party complies with its legal obligations.

Agreed that poor people are disproportionately unrepresented on the electoral register. The subset of those who are also committed enough to join the Labour Party, but who ignore the warnings about being registered to vote is, I respectfully submit, small. There are arrangements in place for people who are too young to register.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby Hairyloon » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:38 pm

It is the first time I have heard of that given as a reason, but I imagine those so disenfranchised do not bleat so much
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby Hairyloon » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:31 pm

A suspended Labour supporter is taking the party’s General Secretary to court for compensation over the distress caused by being unable to vote in the leadership election. Glynis Millward is just one of many Labour members who have been suspended in what shadow Chancellor John McDonnell has described as a “purge”. It was claimed the purge was about trying to diminish support for Jeremy Corbyn.

Read more at: https://inews.co.uk/essentials/news/pol ... -election/

https://inews.co.uk/essentials/news/pol ... -election/
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby dls » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:20 am

Given the majority resulting among that particular group, could it have made a difference?

THe Tories instituted a rule some time ago restricting participation in such elections for six months after joining. It is a sensible rule effectively acknowledged by the National Executive.

The Labour arrangement was designed to encourage mass participation, and to that extent it worked, It is now being bitten in the back end.

This is very probably a 'not worth the candle' and 'keep the courts out of politics' moment. Technically correct, perhaps, but nonetheless a waste of time and money.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Just Mooting