Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Legal 'Aid'

To propose and debate astonishing propositions of law. Please stay polite and rational.

Legal 'Aid'

Postby Hector » Tue May 27, 2014 7:32 am

Three years ago I was refused LA because the costs benefit ratio wasn't big enough. My solicitor appealed pointing out that he had valued the claim at over £500 000 giving it a ratio of 20-1. Apparently someone at the LSC had read £500 000 as £50 000 :roll: LA was granted, eventually :)
My solicitor has just informed me that he has been asked to 'show cause' by the LSC because as he has valued the claim at £50 000 the costs benefit ratio isn't big enough. Here we go again :roll:
Bones make good witnesses. Although they speak softly, they tell no lies and they never forget.
Hector

Re: Legal 'Aid'

Postby atticus » Tue May 27, 2014 4:20 pm

Write a polite but firm letter requesting them to correct their records and to ensure that the case is recorded as being one where the likely damages are estimated at £500,000.

The trouble is that this mistake has given rise to an easy way for someone to shift the case off his desk. The need to correct it will simply hold things up, and this is going to happen again and again, causing delays each time.
atticus

Postby Hector » Tue May 27, 2014 4:28 pm

Thank you Atticus. Polite & firm letter on it's way.
Bones make good witnesses. Although they speak softly, they tell no lies and they never forget.
Hector

Postby Hector » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:43 am

Update:
My solicitor sent letters in by DX (?) and email on 8th May but apparently the LA haven't any record of them so an 'embargo' has been put on my certificate :roll:
I find it truly amazing that now we have supporting expert witness reports and a D acknowledging that I was discharged from hospital with not only a fracture of my clavicle they had previously strenuously denied but multiple fractures of my cervical spine the LA want my solicitor to 'show cause' :roll:
Hector

Postby atticus » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:05 pm

These underfunded bureaucracies can be a right royal pain in the you-know-where.

As I said previously, an easy box-ticking decision that shifts the file off the guy's desk.
atticus

Postby Hector » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:41 pm

The LAA have pulled the plug 2 days before my conference on Friday so it's been cancelled :cry:
My solicitor is livid. I'm just a little frustrated :evil:
Hector

Postby dls » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:42 pm

You have more patience than anyone I know.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby Hector » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:54 pm

dls wrote:You have more patience than anyone I know.

...and I'm not even on drugs - prescription or otherwise :)
Hector

Postby Hector » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:07 am

It transpires that it was my solicitor who put £50 000 instead of £500 000 in a recent CIVApp8s form he sent in to the LAA so my apologies to them :oops:
My solicitor responded to concens about the value of my claim raised by the LAA in a letter to them but didn't respond to the concerns the LAA raised about the merits of my claim so the certificate was discharged :cry:
Hector

Postby Hector » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:01 pm

At last :!: :!:
Got a lovely letter from LAA this afternoon. Legal Aid cert reinstated - "Full representation" :D :D
Hector

Next

Return to Just Mooting