Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Carrier Bags

To propose and debate astonishing propositions of law. Please stay polite and rational.

Carrier Bags

Postby Legaleye » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:52 pm

I am a member of another web forum where they have been discussing certain shops charging for carrier bags,a member said he had to pay 5p for a carrier bag, the check out operator placed the two items purchased into the bag, on route to the car the handles stretched thereby rendering the bag useless for further use, the purchaser thinks he has a claim under the sale of goods act because the bag was not strong enough for, it's intended use, although I also think he is joking just to start a discussion, but has he got a point if say for example, the bag had failed and the contents were damaged?

Legaleye
Legaleye

Re: Carrier Bags

Postby atticus » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:11 pm

Take it up with customer services. They all collect fatuous complaints to exchange at their trade get togethers.
atticus

Postby dls » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:20 pm

He might have a point - but the damages would be very limited.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby TenaciousB » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:47 pm

This happened to me in the middle of Tesco and 2 wine bottles fell out of the bag. The staff quickly mopped up the mess, apologized, and replaced the bottles (and bag). The bags were supplied by Tesco.

Nowadays you have a choice of bags, 5p or 10p. The 10p bags are normally stronger as they are a "bag for life" (well, actually, it means they'll replace it if it breaks, not that it will last forever). Supermarkets could quite legitimately argue that the customer chose the unsuitable bag because they weren't prepared to pay the extra 5p for the bag for the job. ;)
TenaciousB

Return to Just Mooting