Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Dealing with allegations as to the past

To propose and debate astonishing propositions of law. Please stay polite and rational.

Re: Dealing with allegations as to the past

Postby Hairyloon » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:49 am

Slartibartfast wrote:Until someone remembered they wanted to have sex with children...

When did we introduce thought crime into this country? In fact, I think that is maybe worse than thought crime, as I don't believe you can control what you want.
Wanting to have sex with children ought not be a crime; I suspect it is more likely an illness, and there probably ought to be an organisation for paedophiles in the same way as there is the AA for alcoholics.
I can imagine the reaction if anyone tried to set one up though...
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby atticus » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:13 pm

If it remains thought and no more, is it a crime?

It is when it is taken beyond the realm of thought, eg by having pictures, that it becomes a crime, if I have understood correctly.
atticus

Postby atticus » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:34 pm

Interesting article in The Conversation.
http://t.co/flm4KEEOj3

Please read it all, but
The difficulty is that those on the boundaries of acceptability are those most likely to need to test the boundaries of civil liberty. The NCCL has therefore always been unable to avoid controversial and divisive issues, and it would be pointless if it did not engage with them.
atticus

Postby dls » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:51 pm

I think that was their problem. They vaunted their readiness to associate themselves with unpopular causes. It was an homage to the US Civil Liberties Union(?). Hey ho, the unpopular causes jumped in. The Daily Mail has just followed PIE, being equally malodorous.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby Slartibartfast » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:03 pm

Hairyloon wrote:Wanting to have sex with children ought not be a crime

It isn't.
Hairyloon wrote:there probably ought to be an organisation for paedophiles in the same way as there is the AA for alcoholics.
I can imagine the reaction if anyone tried to set one up though...

There are organisations for paedophiles, providing confidential treatment subject to certain limits. Lucy Faithfull Foundation (http://lucyfaithfull.org/) and http://www.stopitnow.org.uk/ for example.

The key difference is that these projects are not led by reformed or abstinent paedos. As this topic has demonstrated, the risks of that would be too high. Active offenders would certainly try to pose as therapists to camouflage sexual opportunities, and there's no easy way to detect that. Also, any genuinely reformed ex-paedo who undertook a leadership role would be outed by tabloid press infiltration.
"Judicial tergiversation is not to be encouraged"
Slartibartfast

Postby dls » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:42 am

Back to (well my interest) the topic.

Tricia Hewitt has apologised. People only think better of her. Nobody for a second thinks she had any interest in promoting the group at issue.

HH and HH (her husband) prove themselves incapable of saying sorry. They make themselves look merely foolish and sad. One can imagine they have a little corner of the bathroom set aside for when they want to stamp their feet.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby smuge » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:40 pm

If this was broadcast what happened thereafter?

Deluded at best.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-26372280
smuge

Previous

Return to Just Mooting